We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fedex

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fedex

I'm not sure this is the right board to vent, but with all the talk of jet fuel costs does it make ANY sense for a company like FEDEX to route EVERYTHING through Memphis? I live in Oregon, am expecting a package from California, and in tracking it, yes, it is routing through Memphis even as we speak. How can they not think it would be a good idea to have a secondary depot on the West Coast?

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
615 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fedex

Yes, it's generally cheaper. The planes are flying anyway for packages all over the country. Going point to point with a less than full plane is a money loser. Memphis was chosen by FEDEX as a hub because it is roughly 2 hrs flying time from 80 percent of the US population and the airport has few weather closures. Occ ice, no snow. I have sent packages from NE wisconsin to Madison WI overnight, they go to memphis. Seems like a schlep, but its more cost effective than a ground driver moving 5 packages from my area to madison.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fedex

"I'm not sure this is the right board to vent..."

You're right. It's not. Besides, what makes you think you must "vent"? It's how FEDEX does things, has done things, and will do things. If you don't like it, then use UPS. Simple. Chuck...

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fedex

"If you don't like it, then use UPS. Simple. Chuck..."

Of course then you would have to vent about your package going through Louisville. :)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fedex

Sorry, but it's really frustrating to see your package flying all over the country! It wasn't MY choice to use Fedex.

And I still think it's a colossal waste of jet fuel.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
597 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fedex

But as was pointed out above, the plane is flying anyway. Your one package makes a negligible difference to the amount of fuel consumed. So, in fact you are saving resources by doing it this way. It seems counterintuitive but is actually the more efficient method.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fedex

Say you have 10 packages shipping from LAX, one each to Oregon, Utah, Minnesota, Florida, Maine, Michigan, Kansas, Texas, North Carolina and New York. Point to point flying would require 10 small planes, 20 pilots, 10 takeoffs, 10 landings, etc. Of course you have another 10 planes heading to each of those cities with deliveries from Seattle. 10 more planes from Phoenix, .....Very expensive and inefficient.

Instead one large plane flies with two pilots to MEM. Packages get sorted in one location (only handled once), routed to other large planes and sent out to their destination processing facilities. Fewer people, planes, sorting facilities, ground personnel, pilots,......

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fedex

Ok, I see the point. And it IS in my town already! Left Memphis at 3:45 this morning! Hoo-ey can't wait for the doorbell to ring! I love Fedex!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,776 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fedex

FedEx operates it business just like an airline with various hubs, except they transport cargo instead of people (and airlines actually transport cargo as well). I supposed that as passengers, we'd love nothing more than direct flights (how many times can I go through ORD and DFW in one week?), but cargo could care less.

9. Re: Fedex

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 20:16