We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

As part of a trip from Australia to the US and Canada, I am planning coming home from Calgary via Honolulu. Whilst travel from Adelaide to Los Angeles and from Honolulu to Adelaide will be on Air New Zealand (both via Auckland) I need to decide whether to ticket the Los Angeles/Calgary/Honololu flights through Air New Zealand which books these flights on Air Canada or book these flights seperately and maybe fly Westjet.

Can anyone tell me what Air Canada and Westjet are like on these routes, particularly the Calgary to Honolulu flight which will mean a change of aircraft in Vancouver.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

If you collect StarAlliance points / miles with NZ or another *A carrier, then go with The People's Airline. Otherwise, WS may not be too shabby.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
628 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

If FF miles are not an issue, i'd look at the type of plane flown and the services offered since its a 5 hr flight. Also, schedule is impt--are both returns overnight flights or during the day?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

Other thing to keep in mind is that AC offers more back-up and contingency in case of missed or cancelled flights. e.g. as part of star alliance they have partner airlines. IMO, AC is also more comfortable than westjet.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

I find WestJet to be far superior to Air Canada.

Toronto
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

As a travel agent I have heard many many bad experiences people have had with Air Canada...but you know, I have not heard even ONE bad story about Westjet!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

Yea WestJet.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

AC is pretty standard, but I have heard countless tales from colleaugues who now refuse to fly westjet

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

I prefer WestJet, but keep this inmind:

You are going to have a long wait in Vancouver once the plane arrives from Calgary, before departing again for Honolulu. Travel time varies from about 10 to 15 hours.

FYI - from the Westjet website:

WestJet only has one flight out of Vancouver to Honolulu on four days of the week: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The flight leaves YVR at 18:45 PST and arrives HNL at 21:51.

So... the wait time entirely depends on the connecting flight combination you choose out of Calgary.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

Thanks for all your replies. Given that I will have to transit somewhere between YYC and HNL, would Alaska Airlines via Seatle be a good alternative?

10. Re: Calgary to Honolulu.....Air Canada or Westjet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 20:18