We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multi city air question??

easton ma
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Multi city air question??

We are planning a river cruise next April 09, flying from Bos to Cdg, return Ams to Bos. Any suggestions on which airline? Best to fly non-stop over, return one stop? How much time is needed for customs etc. Trying to decide if now is time to book. Any help would be appreciated!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,835 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multi city air question??

I don't know if you care about price etc. You can book the type of trip you want without a problem.

You can use a site like www.kayak.com to do side by side price comparisons of all the airlines that fly that route.

I'd do research but only buy if you think the price is one you can live with. Right now most airlines are busy with summer airfare deals and some on into the fall so I'd wait until at least September to buy unless the airfare is sooo good you cannot pass it up.(which I doubt you'll find)

When you buy you should also get trip insurance to cover unseen events in the coming months.

You can use www.insuremytrip.com to find a policy that suits you.

Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,728 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Multi city air question??

"Best to fly non-stop over, return one stop? "

I'm not sure why that would be best, most would prefer nonstop flights if you can get one at a price you can live with.

"How much time is needed for customs etc. "

It depends what the "ect" is. :)

If you're a US citizen returning home, Immigration and Customs might take an hour, could be 90 minutes, depends on how busy things are when you arrive, how long baggage claim takes...

Flying into CDG I've only done twice, both times with no checked bags. I was out of Immigration/Customs in about 45 minutes total, and I think 20 of those minutes were spent walking through the terminal and taking the tram.

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multi city air question??

Customs at CDG is likely to be a complete non-event. Of course, you could be pulled out for inspection, but it is likely you won't even notice customs at all.

Immigration at CDG is usually fairly quick (some long walks, though). Of course, if you get in just after 14 planes land from the Central African Republic and North Korea, it will be a long wait. :)

Leaving AMS, the security is quick, but you will have to wait in line for a second security check at the gate when boarding a plane headed for the U.S. the same is true elsewhere.

My choice would certainly be the non-stop AF BOS->CDG and the non-stop NW AMS->BOS.

The cheapest is likely to be either Icelandair or Aer Lingus. Each with a stop going and coming.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
630 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Multi city air question??

You will likely pay more because it is not a round trip. however, travel agents who book cruises have access to low fares thru the cruise lines so that you can come and go through different cities. If you want to book it yourself, i'd look at Skyteam affiliates as Paris and Amsterdam are skyteam hubs and are the same airline by ownership (Air France-KLM)

easton ma
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Multi city air question??

Thank you all for your advice, we will keep watching the flights on kayak.com. and if the non-stops flights work, that is what we will do.

6. Re: Multi city air question??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 12:22
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now