We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

when airline eliminates your destination

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
368 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
when airline eliminates your destination

What's the airline's responsibility when you have a paid (lowest-cost) ticket and they stop serving your route?

Refund? Paying for same dates on another carrier?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: when airline eliminates your destination

They should route you there on another carrier.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: when airline eliminates your destination

They will either move you to another carrier or refund your money.

Burlington, VT
Level Contributor
368 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: when airline eliminates your destination

The problem with a refund is that, if you have to rebook short term, you'll probably pay a lot more than when you originally booked way in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,273 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: when airline eliminates your destination

I know! and I dont think there's anything we can do about it. I'm going through this now with Delta....

I hate feeling so powerless and at the mercy of the airline.... Somehow I doubt they are going to work too hard to reticket one on another airline.....

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: when airline eliminates your destination

Try not to worry too much just yet. This just happened to a friend of mine when AA eliminated Stansted UK from its system after 7/2. It took three days for AA to move, but she got routed into Heathrow. Not her choice of London airports, but at least she's getting there.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: when airline eliminates your destination

If it is an airline with partners (Skyteam, Star Alliance, One World, etc.) they will most likely reroute you on another carrier they have a code sharing or revenue agreement with. If it is an independent (Southwest for example) it is more likely they will just give you a refund as they have a policy of not endorsing tickets to others.

7. Re: when airline eliminates your destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 13:17