We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midwest Airlines

Boston
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Midwest Airlines

Has anyone recently flown Midwest Airlines? I am looking to fly from Boston to Kansas City and they are the only airline that flies direct.

Also, does anyone know the financial condition of them. I am having a hard time finding out information about this.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
597 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midwest Airlines

My best friend flies them all the time Florida to/from Wisconsin and loves them. Lovely leather seats, fresh baked cookies, drinks, excellent food available for purchase on longer flights. She just got back last week, as it happens. Their financial condition is about the same as any other mid-size carrier right now, not that it really needs to concern one as a passenger. Anything else you want to know?

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midwest Airlines

We absolutely love Midwest. Fly them every chance we get. Great, large leather seating, with a configuration of 2 and 2. And as the other poster pointed out, fresh onboard baked chocolate chip cookies on all flights after 10:00 am.

Friendly crew.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
613 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midwest Airlines

I love Midwest and fly them all the time. They have great crews. Buy on board food is very good. The Boeing 717 that flies from Kansas to Boston is a great plane. They are changing the layout this fall to 2x3 in the back and 2x2 in the front for an extra charge. Financially they are hurting like all the airlines. the main issue with them is the grounding of their MD 80 planes--this would not affect you as these planes fly Milwaukee to the west coast.

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
576 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midwest Airlines

I'm another Midwest fan. In mid-May, flew Philadelphia to MKE as the last leg of an international flight. Our flight from Athens was late and we were going to miss our connection. By the time we got to the Midwest counter in Philly, they already had us re-booked to a later flight. I'm sure they're hurting (like all the other carriers), but they are one of the few airlines that I have always received great customer service from.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midwest Airlines

Thank you all - I have booked them as they are the only ones who fly from Boston to Kansas City non-stop. I am looking forward to the cookies!

lsdunch - the financial condition of an airline should absolutely concern one as a passenger for a couple of reasons. First, I want to make sure they are still flying when my trip takes place and they are not bankrupted by the high fuel costs. (Buying with a credit card and getting a refund in the event of bankruptcy is only good for 60 days after the charge shows up on your cc statement). If an airline is in financial difficulty, many insurance carriers will not provide coverage. Also, having been on the financial side of the airline industry, sometimes when airlines are having problems, their maintenance suffers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midwest Airlines

I would rather fly Midwest than any other domestic airline (and I wish they flew international.) First of all they are the only non-stop between the west coast and MKE, a route we fly frequently. The 2x3 seat arrangemnt, the fresh-baked cookies (they always give my 80 year old father extras!) and the fact that they still remember what "customer service" means. And no, I do not know anyone who works for them (haha) however, I do like hearing that good ole' MKE accent when I have to call them for any reason!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
597 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midwest Airlines

Unfortunately, as was referred to above, with the grounding of their MD80 fleet you are going to lose those non-stops. It will be via Kansas City now.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Midwest Airlines

lsdunch, are you sure of that? How do you know, have you seen an article that you could link us to? I have seen a few flight changes this last week MKE to LAS, but none re-routed thru MCI.

Midwest has been a very good airline in the past as others have described. Flying out of MKE they have been by far the best. Will see how the changes that are affecting the airline industry will play out with them in the near and distant future. Hopefully they still will have a future.

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midwest Airlines

Here is an article: www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/item.aspx…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Midwest Airlines

Interesting depressing article for us west coasters with family in WI. But it does explain why I booked my parents on a non-stop MKE-SFO and I got confirmation for the non-stop and my mother called me from Kansas City telling me she almost missed the flight because she kept looking at the departure boards for SFO and was only finding KC! Meanwhile, Midwest (normally my favorite domestic airline) was still confirming arrival of their non-stop fight from MKE! As my parents are 79 and almost 81, it was more excitement than they had bargained for, and I kept trying to figure out what happened! But at least they did not have to change planes, so that was good.

But it now becomes more attractive for us to take any airline going through Chicago, and stopping off in our favorite city! Sorry, Midwest!