We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

1. Crew showing up 1.5 hours late.

2. Canceling the flight because people didn't accept it like good sheep.

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;

jsessionid=6D4093BA723A04C7033A9855E201D809?contentId=6931485&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

why should the crew have to work in " a hostile and angry" environment?

good on them for refusing to fly.

might teach pax to behave themselves in the future.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

I'm sure if American Airlines said to the crowd, "We apologize for our crew being 90 minutes late. To show how sorry we are, we are refunding your ticket price. We will work to insure this never happens again," then things would have been fine.

Undoubtedly, the passengers were told "tough luck" and that was it.

Do you think they'd hold the plane for you if you were 90 minutes late?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

I say good for the flight crew for cancelling. If passengers were that hostile, then safety can be a huge issue. There are many reasons why crews can be late, most of them valid ones.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,204 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

<Do you think they'd hold the plane for you if you were 90 minutes late?> No, but there again I am not driving the darn thing!

Undoubtedly it could have been handled better but as we were not there we only have 3rd hand information so who knows?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

I agree with the OP. Then some of the other post have nothing nice to say - then again I think that they work for the airline.

Things can go wrong and pax should be somewhat patience - agreed. Then in turn, why cannot the airline at least keep them informed? To me it is what the airline did not do that was the problem. If the crew was running late - and a valid reason - inform the pax. As the op said - it could have been handled a whole lot better - result win win for both sides.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,789 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

> why cannot the airline at least keep them informed?

Because sometimes the airline doesn't have the facts and it's better to say nothing. If they guess and say the flight will depart in an hour just to appease the passengers, and it turns out to be 90 minutes, they then have upset and angry people saying "but you said it would only be an hour. Give us compensation."

Delays happen, and the best thing to do is chill and go with the flow. Shouting won't get you there any faster!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,204 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

<Shouting won't get you there any faster!>

Well it sure as h**l didn't in this case!

Interesting to note that , yet again, contra views are being assumed to come from airline staff. I would not be so paranoic if only people stopped picking on me!

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

worldvoyager, with many airlines, if you're 90 minutes late for a flight, it's going to cost you money.

So, if the airlines want to make money from tardiness, then they should be prepared to return some of that money when they are tardy (and it's their fault...weather doesn't matter, obviously).

People are getting tired of being treated as if we are children and they're the put-upon aunts and uncles. Airlines have got to face that reality and treat us like they'd like us to treat them.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

Well let me join the airline employee crowd, and ask a few questions.

Where did you guys hear all the things about "The airline did not tell them this or told them that?

I did a search with various news media and even Flier talk and could not find such stories or comments?

The only think I found was a comment by an AA employee on flier talk that the crew was late due to a late international arrival(my guess a Caribbean flight).

This is the only thing that makes sense, as this is not the first flight in the morning and the crew did not wake up late or something.Of course I don't know if this is true or not.

It was really interesting to note how the views of the passengers were at opposite ends of the spectrum.

One saying that the passengers were not hostile, and another how bad it was, almost or like a mob and "it was really scary" or something like that on the video clip.

It was also kind of funny when another passenger said how nice the hotel, where AA put them up at, was but kept repeating that it had barbed wire.Must have been in Hialeah.It kind of reminds me of the old Hilton( its something else now) at JFK in nearby Jamaica that had 10 foot stone walls around it and huge iron gates that were locked at dusk.You could not even get out of the damn place without being interrogated by the guards.Nice hotel though.

If I had to guess on this mess I would put my money on some idiots or drunks ,maybe both, been abusive.

And no, I am not an employee,but I have been with them as a FF for decades.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines Abuses Passengers Twice

Hey Bu I agree with you.

As matter of fact I am going down to all the doctors offices where I had to wait from 15 min to more than two hours past my appointment time without even a simple acknowledgment over the years time after time and demand some money back.