We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question concerning Briish Airways

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
807 posts
271 reviews
question concerning Briish Airways

Hello. I just booked a flight from the states to Turkey on British Airways. I tried to reserve seats, and they said you can only do online 24 hours before the flight. I have never heard of such a thing when travelling such a great distance. Has anyone else run into this? Also my other question regards the quality of British Airways. Are they as bad as the typical Americna airline, like United or American, or slightly better? Thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,343 posts
15 reviews
11. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

TP, c'est moi.

If you are travelling with children aged 12 or under and all four of you travelling are on the same PNR, the BA system should assign your party seats at T-72h before scheduled flight departure. If that's the case, you may be able to fiddle with the seating assignment before T-24, when OLCI opens for the remaining pax.

If all members of your party are adults, or the children are on separate PNRs then none of that will apply, and you'll have to be poised at T-23.59.59 to nab the seats in which you would like to sit.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
73 reviews
12. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

The simple answer, Oliver, is that yes, you will have to check in online 24 hours before your flight to snag a seat. And be sure to do it. A gate agent once told me over 90% of their customers check in online to avoid getting that dreaded middle seat. Some do, but everyone who doesn't check in online will get a middle seat. Not sure how truthful she was being, but since every BA flight I have been on has been 100% full, it made sense. BA is pretty low on my list of favorite airlines. I have only traveled in regular economy and legroom is the worst of any other airline I have flown, international or domestic. Their seats recline a LOT so that doesn't help matters. Their inflight AVOD is not as good as other airlines with limited choices, and I have never gotten the meal I wanted as "we ran out of that."

That being said, BA has always gotten to me my destinations safely and on time, they have a more than generous carry-on policy and the one time I checked luggage with them, it arrived at my destination the same time I did and that was with two connections.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,217 posts
360 reviews
13. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

Sorry if I confused you Oliver. As the lady says TP is TravellerPlus cos I can't spell long words.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,343 posts
15 reviews
14. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

You're up late, my lad. Shouldn't you be thinking about fishing out the last bits of fruit from the jug of Pimm's and heading off to ignore Friday Night With Jonathan Woss?

:-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,217 posts
360 reviews
15. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

Not yet the witching hour TP. Gosh! Am I really your lad? You could have made a GOM very happy and then you go and suggest I would watch rubbish on TV. Why should I do that when I have got you?

(Sorry Oliver and Trip moderator. Temp lapse!)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,343 posts
15 reviews
16. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

You are, you are! Am willing to share with Mrs mfuwe, since she no doubt also disapproves of shoddy late night television (but I do like Eight Out Of Ten Cats).

Sorry, oliver, will stop now. Back to you!

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
88 reviews
17. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

What an excellent thread. TP you have surely provided a ton of info of great interest to me. Thanks for that.

I'm seriously considering BA for next years (Sept) travel to Europe. After reading all the above, I have a couple of questions.

1) Does this online 24 hours prior seat choice thing apply to Biz + First Class as well as WT & WT+ ?? If so, YeeG*ds! You pay a kajillion bucks for your ticket(s) and you can't choose your seat?

2) Given #1 above does apply, in what country is the 23:59:59 calculated? Presumably BA's computers are at PST +8? So do I have to adjust for this or am I making this more complicated than it already is?

:-))

Many thanks,

Holly

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
70 reviews
18. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

No, it applies only to cattle class (sorry, World Traveller!). Premium passengers can assign their seats at booking.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,217 posts
360 reviews
19. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

<2) Given #1 above does apply, in what country is the 23:59:59 calculated? Presumably BA's computers are at PST +8? So do I have to adjust for this or am I making this more complicated than it already is?>

Just to clear this up in case you save your bucks for a better holiday..

The booking engine/OLCI fires off at 23.59.59 before the scheduled departure using the time zone of the departure airport. So for your outbound leg from BC use PST, (or whatever).

I also believe, but have not had occasion to try it, that if you are on a multi leg ticket OLCI opens all legs at the same time as your initial leg.

I know that this happens with others.

Not only steerage have to wait until 24 hours either. Less than Full Fare Club World do as well.

Known as Cloth Cap Club.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,343 posts
15 reviews
20. Re: question concerning Briish Airways

'Ee, our lad, tha knows what tha says an' all, e'en though yon clogs need repairin'.

It is rather Cloth Cap-py, innit? Next thing, Oor Wullie will ask us to tug our forelocks and say 'thank'ee sorr' when boarding. Note to Willie - don't hold your breath.

It's true, WCGal, that OLCI opens at T-24h local time, so for BA84 it's usually 2035 and for BA86 it's usually 1735. And sometimes the OLCI for two BA flights (if on the same day) will work and sometimes not.