We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air China and hand baggage allowance

England
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Air China and hand baggage allowance

Hi

How strict are Air China regarding SIZE of hand baggage? Do they use those perspex boxes to ensure your bags are within limits?

I know the weight max is 5KG, and my cabin bag is within the width and length rules but is about 3cm too deep (wheels stick out).

I am flying from Hong Kong to Beijing, and then two internal flights later in the month - all via Air China.

Thanks for any help

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air China and hand baggage allowance

I flew several internal flights on Air China just last autumn and can tell you I have seen the most oversized and oddly shaped objects ever in my flying life being crammed into overhead bins.

I can't promise this hasn't been tightened up on since then, but if my experience is anything to go by, 3cm is nothing.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air China and hand baggage allowance

Not sure about the HK to Beijing sector, but internally anything goes. Most Chinese do not check in luggage and I have seen not only large, but multiple large, carry on's.

England
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air China and hand baggage allowance

Hi

My enquiry was prompted by this article:

asiaone.com/Travel/News/Story/A1Story2008042…

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air China and hand baggage allowance

3cm. is nothing, believe me!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air China and hand baggage allowance

Air China strict?? Nope.

I flew them a few times in 2006 and think I could have gotten away with taken my huge suitcase on board!! If you think USA airlines let passengers take big bags on board, wait till you see Air China.

Have a good trip!!

6. Re: Air China and hand baggage allowance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 01:17