We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

Denmark
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

I realy have a very big problem.

We will fly with Qatar next mouth from Frankfurt to one of the wold best diving place The Maldives.

We are all divers and will like to bring some of our dive equipment with us (around 10 kg each.)I have been told, I can only bring it as excess baggage, but it will be to an extremly high price, 47 EUR pr. kg. pr.way ...., it would be cheaper for us to buy 2 flight ticket more!!! I have travel with Qatar in March/april 2008 to the Maldives and I could bring my dive equipment with me (10kg. pr. pers. for free)I can't understand why I can't have my dive equipment with my any more or for a reasonable price! Can anyone suggest what to do then?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

Rent equipment whilst you are in the Maldives?

Pay the money?

The reasons are simple: the market will bear it.

Denmark
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

Yes I can rent it, but it's more save to dive with your own equipment.

Pay for it, its to expensive for me!

your right, for the moment the market will bear it.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

Some airlines will give a special allowance for dive equipment. It would be well worth asking whether they have any such provision if you have not already.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

Pack less clothes and other "stuff" - it maybe the only alternative if you want your own regulator. If you are going diving in the Maldives, you are not on the poverty line, so am sure you will compromise one way or another.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

Have you looked into shipping it ahead? It may be cheaper and you may be able to insure it for more than what airlines will typically cover for baggage in the hold.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
480 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

1. Check with Qatar if they have a sporting goods allowance. Some airlines do.

2. Pack your regs and any other bits of equipment you can into your carryon luggage.

3. Look at buying a travel BCD or BP & W as they are generally much lighter. you can get ally back plates that weigh around only 1 kg.

4. If you have heavy fins don't take them - rent instead. I have a set of Oceanic V12's and they are so heavy. I ended up getting a pair of full foot light fins to take with me when I'm doing warm water diving. (The oceanic V8's I think they are, are nice). Do you really need to take booties?

5. Pack less clothes, shoes, toiletries etc. Surely if you're going as a group you could share shampoo etc if weight is getting desperate.

6. Hope that Qatar will be nice if you are a couple of kgs over. I've flown with Singapore, Malaysian and Solomon air with dive gear and have never had to pay excess baggage.

7. Just be thankful you're not travelling with a full underwater dSLR setup like I am later this week!

Denmark
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

I thank you all for nice advice.

I have phone to servel of offices and written to Qatar, with out any luck. I was flying with Qatar in march 2008 and we cut bring 10 x-tra pr.persons and they tell me this is the new regulations. we are 4 traveling together in September and wouldt be happy for 5 kg more each.. Dive equipment is hevy and what will Qatar do with Golf, sufing, bickes and ski equipment? I have also thought about to send the equipment, but some one told my that it might get stock in the costums "declare". Mabye I wear my BCD as a coat or in my handbag. Ps. I brig no shoes to the Maldives:-))

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

Just take your regs and computer. It wont weight much. Rent the rest when you get there.

That's what I do.

9. Re: Dive equipment extremly expensive with Qatar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 17:21