We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

A few months ago I booked a bargain flight on expedia.com.au - London Heathrow to Los Angeles return, (North West Airlines going out (via Minneapolis) and Air France non-stop coming back - £128!!!!!! each for me and my wife next May.

The problem I have is our holiday plans have changed. Once we get to Minneapolis we would now like to drive to LA.

1. Do we risk having our return leg with Air France cancelled if we don't get our connecting flight from Minneapolis to LA, even though the return leg is with a different airline to the one going out?

2. Will we be able to collect our bags or will the airline automatically transfer them to the connecting flight? Being an international flight I guess we would collect them to clear immigration?

Thanks

Jono

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

I suppose the key question is exactly what you bought;

.. if you ended up buying a bunch of seperate tickets via Expedia that arent linked in an airlines systems, you might be OK. Is it a single flight locator number, or two, one in each direction? If its just one locator, chances are they will cancel all the remaining segments after your missed one.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

p.s. Yes you are correct about (2) so you could grab your bags and go, but probably best not to tell them you'll do that at checkin at LHR or they might not let you take the first leg. I'm not sure if there is a security implication either, as you'll be registered for that second flight and be a 'no show'.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

NW and AF are partners in Skyteam and their systems are closely linked. It is quite possible you are booked on a NW ticket with NW flight numbers even though they are operated by AF. If this is on one ticket (and it probably is) your return will be canceled if you don't fly the MSP-LAX leg.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

For legal advice on this, I suggest you contact a solicitor. All you'll get here are guesses.

Here's what I would *consider* doing:

After arrival and retrieval of your bags in Minneapolis, I would present myself to a NW ticket counter and explain that you simply do not feel comfortable flying any further and do not want to board the plane to LAX. Explain to them that you will need to get home at some point and to please keep your return flight on AF from LAX, but that you are simply done flying for the day. I would expect that they'll accommodate you, but no one can really guarantee that.

You might have a friend call NW with the "fictional" scenario (you don't take the MSP-LAX leg) and see what they say, keeping in mind that they won't be bound to that.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

After arrival and retrieval of your bags in Minneapolis, I would present myself to a NW ticket counter and explain that you simply do not feel comfortable flying any further and do not want to board the plane to LAX. Explain to them that you will need to get home at some point and to please keep your return flight on AF from LAX, but that you are simply done flying for the day. I would expect that they'll accommodate you, but no one can really guarantee that.

I don't see this happening without a repricing of the itinerary. At MSP there is no reason to directly deal with the agent if you wish to leave the airport. You need to claim your bags before customs anyway, and once that is out of the way you can just follow the terminating passengers.

If this is all one itinerary any flights scheduled after the one you miss will be canned. That's how GDS systems work.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

I am not really sure how you can do this. Your onwards seats will all be canceled so you will need to rebook. Sometimes there is a charge, sometimes there isn't.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

If you really want to drive from MSP to LAX the best thing to do is call now and ask how much to change your flights to an open jaw LHR-MSP and LAX-LHR. At the price you paid expect sticker shock for the current price plus at least $200 in change fees per ticket.

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

Sod's law...it looks like my problem may be irrelevant.. just got an email to say Air France is pulling its Los Angeles - London service from the end of October, just seven months after it launched it! They've booked me onto a flight to Paris instead but no mention of an onward flight to London...

So I may just cancel the whole thing and get a full refund if I can and start afresh...

Thanks for all your replies

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

Nice result and probably the best you would get.

Grumble a bit, inconvenient etc., and ask to switch to what you wanted. See what they suggest.

personally I would ditch Expedia, log on to skyteam www.klm.com as they have good sales on from time to time. Deal direct and go for Open Jaw.

Try it from MAN too.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Missing out connecting flight...will I be penalised?

But KLM isn't a very good airline...