We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your views on long haul flights...

London
1 post
Save Topic
Your views on long haul flights...

I am a transport designer studying a masters degree at universtity. As a chosen topic I am looking into issues users encounter when flying for extended periods of time.

I would like to ask what problems or issues you have encountered with long haul flights?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
273 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

The unreasonable length of time getting a response from the FA when you press the call button, usually at least 30 minutes, sometimes no response at all.

Being made to shut the blinds and sleep, even though it's the middle of the day and the sun is shining.

The state of the toilets 8 hours into the flight.

Adjoining passengers not being aware of the actual space allocated to them and their seat - when they spread their legs into your space and take up all the armrest.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

I have to agree with Fran-L about the armrest space, I have been stuck in the middle seat with no place to put my arms since passengers on both sides used mine and in economy seats thats quite snug.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

SPACE or lack there of.

As already mentioned, there is a lack of space on armrests (I try to give the center person priority on our shared armrest, but most folks are selfish). Double wide armrests, like in business class, would give everyone room for their elbows. Perhaps even a raised ridge between the two halves to keep greedy george from taking your half ;-)

Row spacing ... when the passenger seated in front of you slams their seat into full recline and you are still sitting upright, there is little or no space between you and their smelly hair gel ... and then try to get up to go to the bathroom.

Seat recline dampening, so the seat reclines slowly allowing the person behind time to react and get their laptop off the table before it is crushed.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

Use the search function here and you will surely find enough issues for a whole thesis! Try a few different key words such as "long haul," "recline," "children" to name a few, or just browse old topics. Happy reading!

London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

To me whether long haul or short haul the irritants just the same. Getting to airport least 2 hours before, the checking in procedure, waiting for baggage and clearing customs at destination. Least with a long haul you can think the irritants worth it for the distance you have travelled and you can, hopefully, relax and unwind.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

HI

why not have self contained pods for singles up to groups. have own air and bathroom faciltys and food.

once you are at airport you are put into pods and sealed up then go into a baggage type system. loaded on to correct flights. then when at final destination you are let out of pod, that way you do not have to deal with any other passengers. or FA or gate agents or TSA screening. only major problem is getting lost like our bags do now a days LOL

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

why not have self contained pods for singles up to groups. have own air and bathroom faciltys and food.

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

Fran - you're flying the wrong airline, no doubt about it! - there are a few good ones left.

Speedbird - isn't that called First Class on the 380?

T-Designer - I think far too many consumers go for price only and suffer the consequences. Many are under the impression that all carriers are alike, and now simply bite the bullet. Research pays off in this industry!

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

Some of us need to go for low price or we wouldn't be travelling at all.

That being said, the seating arrangement in economy just lends itself to be uncomfortable. Sleeping while sitting upright is impossible for me, the recline of the person in front of me squishes my legs and furthers my discomfort, lack of room on the armrest, and tight cramped quarters just make long haul flying miserable for me. But I try my best to just look forward to the minute I can get off!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your views on long haul flights...

The worst thing about long haul flights, in fact it applies to all flights, is the other passengers. As time goes on, I see less and less consideration for others. That to me is the main issue. On a long haul flight, the inconsideration lasts a lot longer and can make a flight hell at times.