We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,965 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

Dawgonn brought up an interesting point in a previous thread about driving from Conn. to JFK in order to get a non stop,sooo instead of arguing about it I thought I'd ask everyone how they feel.

I live in San Diego and for me LA is at least a 2hr. drive. I never drive up there,(or take the train there) to get a more direct flight. My husband says he'd have to save at least $300 to make it worth it to him. Ideas? Opinions?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

I'd do 2hrs in a heartbeat, you are probably going to have to leave a 2 hour or so gap between flights anyway, so its not like you are saving time, and you are considerably lowering the chances your luggage and you will get separated.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
624 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

I do it all the time. I live in NE Wisconsin and routinely drive 2hrs to MKE or 3.5 to ORD for a nonstop flight. I'd prefer to pay a bit more for parking/airfare and drive some than deal with connections and delays (arrive at a pricey vacation aggravated defeats the purpose of rest). Just recently flew from ORD to PVR Mexico on a nonstop first in the morning flight. Yes, you need to get there the night before, but the later in the day you leave--better chance of delays.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

We're going to London in December for NYE/birthday/1st anniversary. I love London, he's never been, so I wanted the flight over to be enjoyable as well - Virgin Premium Economy (can't afford to Upper tix right now). We're from LA, moved to Raleigh, NC in August. Absolutely love it, and love the new terminal at RDU. American is the only airline to offer non-stop to London, on a B752. Virgin flies out of IAD. When I was looking to book about a month ago, 2 PE tix on VA were $2300 total, with all taxes. 2 economy tix on AA out of RDU were comparable. So, yes, we have to drive 4 hours to DC ($20 in gas), pay to park for a week ($70) and pay for a hotel when we return ($58 on Priceline for the IAD Westin). So in total I'm spending $170 more, for 2 PE tix on VA out of IAD than for 2 economy tix direct out of RDU. This is a special ocassion, and a 7 hour flight in PE seems worth the drive to DC.

That being said, in most situations, I'd much prefer to take the 15 minute drive to RDU to take a flight with connections over the 2+ hour drive to Charlotte for a direct flight. I should also point out that RDU is a great little airport, handling a great amount of flights (giving me options!) for its size. Parking is $6/day. It really just can't be beat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

oops! AA flies a 763 on the route... Delta will soon be flying non-stop from RDU to CDG using a 752. It was just in the news, and on my mind!

Mission Viejo, CA...
Level Contributor
616 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

I am willing to drive to LAX for a nonstop flight over Orange County Airport which is only 15 minutes away. LAX just has so many more flights that are nonstop to almost everywhere I frequently travel. LAX is only 50 minutes to 1.5 hours from my house though depending on traffic flow so it is usually worth it for me over a 2 hour connection..

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

I'm a poor flyer, and DH spent thousands of hours both flying and waiting for/missing connections, lost luggage etc in his business career, so we both prefer non-stops for different reasons.

Our last trip to England we drove to Vancouver B.C. to save a bunch of money and get a non stop - that was 9 hours one way drive.

Next year's trip we'll fly out of Seattle - 6 hours drive from home.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

Half-brit why didn't you fly from Sea to Lhr last year BA go there?, also from this year North West as well, we used them in Sept, much cheaper than BA, no problems at all.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

Just so happened that at that time the price from Vancouver was better. Plus we found a park-n-fly motel near the airport that stored our car for 52 days for no charge :-)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,965 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

I think all these replies are very interesting.

Thankyou for writing. I suppose we(DH and I) are creatures of habit and hate traffic and also hate the giant behemoth that is LAX! It is just so hassle free to drive 20min. with no traffic to our SAN airport where getting out first thing in the morning is almost always guaranteed on time! We never check bags so one change of planes somewhere,sitting in an airport is just more relaxing than the drive. I always check prices from LA and then don't bother to use them as they don't save any money. Maybe one day it will be worth it.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far would you drive for a non-stop flight?

I prefer to break a long flight (eg London to San Francisco) with a stop in any event. And with very long flights, like London-Sydney, you have to stop anyway, whether or not you change planes.