We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying airfare from a consolidator?

SJ, CA
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
buying airfare from a consolidator?

Hi,

Have you purchased discounted airfare from

consolidators? ie, airfare.com, airlineconsolidator.com etc. If so, which company would you recommend? If you have purchased tickets

from other consolidators, pls. let me know.

Where you satisified with their services or

did you experience any problems? ..pls. advise.

thanks.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,383 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying airfare from a consolidator?

I prefer to buy directly from the airline because IF there's a problem with the flight you have more leeway.

It's not buying the ticket that can be a problem it is IF the flight changes OR if YOU want to make a change in your plans that there are problems.

Anyway, the only company other than an airline from whom I have bought tickets is:

www.1800flyeurope.com

They will also sell you hotels and trip insurance if you want. You can reach them on the phone as well as by internet. I only used them when they saved me at least $300 for a ticket.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
633 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying airfare from a consolidator?

Ditto, Riffsmom's advice, it seems as though most people on TripAdvisor check out the consolidators for prices then buy from the airline itself.

I did buy from Orbitz last year and eveything went fine, but it was a non stop from Seattle to Paris so not too much could go wrong... you'd so think anyway ;-)

It was fine for me, but this year after hearing some horror stories I went through the actual airline.

Enjoy your trip!

Iowa City
Level Contributor
887 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying airfare from a consolidator?

riffsmom is absolutely correct-I have used consolidatore tickets in the past, but won't anymore-you just cannot change at all. Also, more often than not, you will sit way at the back of the aircraft, near the toilets.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying airfare from a consolidator?

Hi

I have bought tickets from consolidaters before with no problems

but I usually buy only a few weeks before I go and on simple international flights to Asia and by myself. and I have never had to sit in the back by the toilets LOL.

If you buy from them. the minute you get confirmation call the airline and reconfirm everything and get on their e-mail list

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,451 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying airfare from a consolidator?

And as a minor side note, many consolidator tickets do not earn FF miles (which on a longer run can be substantial).

6. Re: buying airfare from a consolidator?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 22:20