We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dilemma with flying around Europe

New Jersey
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dilemma with flying around Europe

My girlfriend and I are in the process of booking a trip to Europe for July of 2009. We will be flying in to Stockholm from New York and will be seeing (in no particular order) Stockholm, Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris, Switzerland, and Florence.

The price of the flight to Stockholm has dropped dramatically over the last week or so. However, in about the same time span, the one-way flights from country to country have either sky-rocketed in price or have disappeared all together. We had been using Orbitz and similar sites.

Why have the prices risen so dramatically in such a short period of time? There were many options for direct flights from country to country about 2 weeks ago and now those options are severly limited. Will the prices and availability come back down to normal soon?

Of course taking trains or driving is an option, but I would appreciate it if for this post I can have help with flying. Thank you in advance! Happy travels. Chris

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,603 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

www.whichbudget.com.

But beware that most budget airlines have very restrictive baggage allowances and some (e.g. Ryanair) sometimes fly to airports that are 100 miles or more from the city they say they serve.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

I know you shunned the concept of trains but for the legs Amsterdam-Brussells-Paris and I suggest you give it serious thought unless you prefer hanging around airports to actually travelling.

All three Capitals are linked with high speed trains city Centre to City Centre. So much so that you can fly into AMS for Brussells and the ticket covers the train journey rather than another plane.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

I'll join my colleague from the IoM in a glass of Krug (try to swim out of that one, big boy) to raise a toast to the trains.

wv's suggestion is bang-on; I would add to it www.skyscanner.net for some low cost carriers. Consider the major airlines, too, as there will very likely be reductions in some fares for Summer 2009 travel, unless the airlines' numbers from Q4 2008 are better than they hope.

Long distance rail service across Europe can be a superb way to travel, with fast, comfortable trains going from city centre to centre. www.seat61.com is chockablock with info to help you get the most from riding the rails.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

Trains in Europe are brilliant. Can you get Eurail passes in the US of A? If so, it's an option well worth looking at.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

Eurail Passes are NOT the good value they used to be. Eurail is NOT a train operator but a ticket agency. Check out point-to-point ticket prices before buying a Eurail Pass.

Hans

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

Before we all start a lovefest for the Trains on a Forum for Airtravel can I just emphasise I was talking the three close cities of Amsterdam, Bruxelles and Paris. Travel between those three Cities compares well on time when getting to the airport, checking in and boarding then getting off and back into the next city centre is factored in.

Hey TP that's gonna be one BIG glass if we are both to get in it!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,050 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

You ask why prices have risen so dramatically?

Well, some of the lead-in prices are loss-leaders (eg Ryanair flights for 1 cent) and only there to get the attention of potential customers and sites like Orbitz.

There's no way of knowing how many seats are left at those prices, but its unlikely to be many, otherwise the airlines will fold.

July is when every school and college in Europe is on holiday, so people make plans to travel. If I want low availability and higher prices, that's when I travel, too. Otherwise, May, June and September are my preferred times.

I doubt very much the prices will come down - competition is such that they are already fairly near rock-bottom.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

mfuwe

There is posted so much off topic b...s... on this forum, so what's the the problem with correcting incorrect info posted in this thread?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

I don't have a problem at all whether you correct incorrect stuff or add to the correct stuff. That did not appear in my post. I simply made a passing light hearted reference to the fact that this is an airline forum. OK?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,855 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dilemma with flying around Europe

Perhaps. But some of us are willing to don a second anorak (not a cagoule - don't even make me think about such a thing) to include train travel as well as the (usual) pleasure of a flight.

And today, I have mostly been visiting the National Rail Museum in York. Truly!

(think of a champagne flute big enough for two, rather a Claes Oldenburg type of glass. How's that?)