We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

Hi everyone,

I have always thought in this post-September 11 world that you could not take knitting needles in carry-on luggage, but I have just seen on the seat guru website that they are allowed in checked luggage.

I will definately check with the airlines I'm flying before I arrive at the airport with any knitting

for in-flight but I was wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with knitting needles and either Air New Zealand or United?

Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

here is the TSA's slant on knitting needles. other countries' authorities may have different ideas.

tsa.gov/travelers/…editorial_1252.shtm

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

yep as i expected, australian airport security dont allow knitting needles in hand luggage.

same for the uk.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

Thanks Lien,

I should have thought of checking that myself! I didn't think that kitting needles were allowed - never mind, time to charge up the iPod and find a good book.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

and yet, on a comparatively recent flight I took (Sydney-Adelaide-Sydney) with JetStar, there was an 'older' lady on the return flight, happily knitting away until the FA told her knitting needles weren't allowed in the cabin and the knitting was confiscated until the flight landed; the lady told th FA she knitted all the way from Sydney to Adelaide on her outward flight; if this is true, obviously the needles got through security at Sydney domestic and Adelaide too. 'tis a worry.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

I have seen knitting needles get past the TSA screening only to be confiscated by the Flight Attendants. I would not risk it. If they take them you will not have the opportunity to mail them back to yourself, and they may not return them at the end of the flight.

On one recent flight a lady was knitting while waiting to board and the Gate Agent took her needles.

England
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

So to be clear - you CANNOT take knitting needles on a plane!! just wanted to clear it up before Bin laden starts trying to recruit my Gran.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

Actually, TSA is anything but "clear" about knitting needles. They let the individual TSA agent determine if he/she thinks they are a safety risk. It is completely possible for one to get through security with knitting needles.

If the Gate Agent and the Flight Attendants do not take the needles you would be fine.

The only thing that is clear is that there is some chance that you may have your needles confiscated by someone either at TSA, the gate or in the plane. We have no idea what the chances are. Based on my own observations I would say that there is a better than 50% chance that the needles would be confiscated, but I do not think any of us really have any factual information.

8. Re: Knitting needles in carry-on luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 11:19