We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have any airline horror stories?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Topic
Anyone have any airline horror stories?

Hi everyone,

The last time I took a plane across the U.S., my knees were up against the seat in front of me the entire flight, and I could barely walk for several hours after landing. I guess that's about par for the course these days; it seems like every time I go to the airport I can count on some new inconvenience or discomfort.

Despite all the annoyances of air travel, though, I've never had a truly awful flying experience. No nights spent lying on the terminal floor; no food poisoning -- not even a single lost bag in all my years of travel.

How about the rest of you here? Anyone have any airline horror stories, or are you all as lucky as I am?

Thanks,

Dan

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

The "worst" I had was an AA flight that was delayed 8hrs at JFK, though we had use of the AA lounge where we had free booze, food and internet so it wasn't that bad. Then when we got to Chicago our bags were missing, they were returned to my hotel during the night.

For about 1.5 million miles of travel I feel I've done pretty well..I'm waiting for the law of averages to catch up with me.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

The first aircraft I ever flew in, a BOAC B707 crashed - does that qualify?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

Sifting through some old threads, you can probably find 1,000 stories here on TA alone.

A couple from my archives:

JFK-LHR on AA, Business Class, 2-3-2 seating. Was in the aisle seat of the 3 in the middle. A Middle-Eastern kid sat next to me and his mother another seat away. She didn't know how to make the seat recline for her kid. Since she didn't know English, she decided to poke my arm *hard* to get my attention to help him. In the mean time, her relative decided to stick his bare foot on my armrest.

XNA-ORD-DTW, AA Huge thunderstorms went across the entire Midwest. It only took me 11 hours to fly what would have been a 3 hour flight. I spent most of it sitting at XNA, where there is no lounge and only yucky fast food is available.

Tasmania to Melbourne, Virgin Blue, a short one hour flight. Half way in the air, a loud boom was heard and the engine pitch dropped noticeably. After a few minutes, the pilot came on and said "one engine just went out, but we can get to Melbourne with just one functioning but just a bit slower so there is nothing to worry about."

Sydney
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

Last year I had a flight from Sydney to Perth. I was sat next to a young mum and her 2yr old who screamed blue murder the entire flight, I'm talking about ear piercing screaming here!

His constant screaming resulted in coughing fits and occasional vomiting episodes that were so spontaneous there was no opportunity to get out of the way. When mum tried to calm him down he resorted to head butting and kicking the seat in front. Consequently, I arrived with a splitting headache and stinking of vomit.

Now, I love children and managed to maintain a pleasant disposition for the entire flight but I can't tell you what I wanted to do when that child fell asleep just as we approached Perth!

Sydney
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

Forgot to mention the point of this story, not once did a flight attendant offer any help, not a word of sympathy or even acknowledgment, in fact I swear they went out of their way to pretend it wasn't happening.

Rochester, United...
Level Contributor
425 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

Not me personally, but my good friends' mother was flying transatlantic to heathrow after completing her holiday when the oxygen masks suddenly fell down and an announcement was made that everyone should barce in preparation for a crash landing on water. It turned out that a member of the creq had pressed the wrong button and set off the alarm!

She hasnt been able to fly since!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

I don't know, Speedbird, if being plied with free food and booze counts as a horror story -- maybe a delay in paradise? Tough call.

Crashing, though -- yes, I think that definitely qualifies. Wow, that must've been quite a scare. I'd also say an exploding engine and accidentally pressing the "we're all gonna die" button would both make for a hair-raising experience.

Sydney: "I arrived with a splitting headache and stinking of vomit." Are you sure you weren't just drinking free booze for 8 hours with Speedbird? Just kidding. That's an hilarious story. I always worry about being seated next to a terrified tot, but thank my lucky stars, it's never happened. I've heard plenty of 'em somewhere in the distance, but I've never been close enough to be vomited on -- that's pretty bad.

Thanks, everyone. Fun stuff!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

No real horror stories (probably blocked those out), but.

Apr 08: DFW-LGA - flight from hell. so rough for about 30 minutes I thought I was going to die. A mother sitting next to me with her kid actually was trying to comfort ME (I am 66 years old, I SHOULD have been able to handle that!)

07 or 08: JFK-CUN - 100 feet from landing at CUN when pilot suddenly PULLED UP and we had to circle again (turns out a small private plane on ground couldnt make up his/her mind what they were going to do)

SPRING 83-84: (wheN I used to fly charters): Arrow Air Club Med I think. Delay 5 hours in MARTINIQUE. Unbelievable what we (passengers) had to go thru just to get vouchers for a meal (actually we DRANK the value of the vouchers. May have been same flight when attendants wouldnt give a pregnant woman some water.

So long ago I cant remember: flying LGA to someplace in Pennsylvania....hit an air pocket so hard (UP and then DOWN) that the soda came out of my cup and hit the ceilig.

Now, living in NYC, just try and find flights that go to, for instance, DFW that DONT fly out of LGA. (I have a total block against flying out of LGA now...Yes I Know the planes dont all get hit by geese, and the ones that do...usually only one engine affected.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,157 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

I sat next to Worldvoyager on a Ryanair flight once. Barcelona to Frankfurt or Warsaw. He moaned all the time about you know who. We boarded without a problem, no surcharges, free drinks as it was St. Patrick's day, and the FA's were really polite. We arrived on time, at the right place, to find everyone's luggage had made except WV's.

Not really a Horror story, more a bad dream!! LoL

Vermont
Level Contributor
135 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone have any airline horror stories?

Flying into Chicago landing abruptly aborted due to "traffic" on the runway according to the Captain. Perhaps one could say a disaster was avoided and therefore this was a wonderful thing that happened. I was ok with it, but the lady next to me who had never flown before may have been somewhat taken aback.

Luggage lost for the first 3 and a half days of a 5 day long business trip; tried to use same clothes until couldn't stand it anymore, then as soon as I went shopping and got new clothes and cut the tags off, luggage arrived. Then, of course, almost time to go home. Overall though, was happy to have old clothes back, and I suppose it is always nice to have new clothes too (although it was an expense I'd rather have avoided).

Stuck in Chicago for two days due to ice storm some years back, airline wouldn't give us our luggage even though we were stuck more than 24 hours. Went shopping then also as it was the end of a long trip and needed clean underwear.

I wonder if the shopping/retail are in cahoots with airlines to boost business based on natural disasters and airline mistakes? No, of course I'm being paranoid....