We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I buy tickets now?

new jersey
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Should I buy tickets now?

We are going to Orlando in August. Our travel dates are 8/16(Sun)-8/23(Sun). We live in NJ and like to leave from Newark. BTW, NYC has slightly cheaper flights, but the extra cost of getting there off sets any price difference.

My question is - should I book now? Or should I wait a little bit longer to see if the prices drop any?

Any advice????

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

Either way its a gamble. I got caught with the singapore air sale, bought a ticket then a few days later could have got it cheaper.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

You gave us all kinds of information except the price of the tickets! There are probably people on the forum that are at least somewhat familiar with flying a popular route like EWR-MCO, they may be able to give some thoughts on whether the fare you're seeing now is likely to drop or not.

new jersey
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

$298 per person round trip + taxes and fees ($84.80).

Total for 4 is $1276.80. Is this a good price?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
377 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

The per person fare that you mention seems to be on the high side of what you could do. To get an idea of what the range in fares in this market is go to history.farecompare.com. From the graphs presented, you will also get an idea of the variability in fares. To get a recommendation on whether fares are increasing or decreasing, you could go to farecast.com. At the moment, you really don't have the option to look into Southwest Airlines. In March of 2009, I was able to book one of their fare sales from Providence to Orlando for $177.20 round trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

In March of 2009, I was able to book one of their fare sales from Providence to Orlando for $177.20 round trip.

OK, but from PVD which is a completely different market to EWR...

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
377 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

OK, but from PVD which is a completely different market to EWR...

My objective was really to show that for an even longer trip than what is being discussed, fares can be much less than the $300+ levels mentioned. In terms of comparing PVD to EWR, it's not clear just exactly how much difference there is. It does have Southwest Airlines (which, BTW, is charging about $260 for a trip to Orlando). On the other hand, it doesn't have the competition offered by JFK or LGA.

new jersey
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

Thank you tep2. I will check those websites you mentioned.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

I don't know where in NJ you are, but have you looked at prices from PHL? They often are much cheaper than the NYC area if you're willing to drive a it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

My objective was really to show that for an even longer trip than what is being discussed, fares can be much less than the $300+ levels mentioned.

To counter that there really is little correlation between length of flight and cost. Airlines charge what the market will pay for a ticket, not cost + markup.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I buy tickets now?

I would wait a week or two just because the high season is either on the winter or the fall. The closer it gets to the end of the season the higher the chances of getting a better deal. However don’t wait too much either because Florida also attracts many tourists in June and July. So my suggestion would be, wait maybe one more week, but check every day and if you see the price go up try book it (it should not go up a lot) and if you see the price drop, maybe wait check a little bit longer.

The key is to check constantly and also there are a couple of sites that can help you track your tickets pricing even after you book and if it goes down they will help you work with the airline to get the difference back the website is http://www.yapta.com/checkForRefunds/

Also this is very valuable resource

http://farecast.live.com - Farecast offers unique features to help you Know When To Buy, When To Fly, and Where To Stay

Hope this was helpful