We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

summit nj
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

On early morning of April 6, 2009, Delta from Newark (to St. Thomas, USVI), with a stopover in Atlanta...the plane lands, we are 5 mins. from the scheduled Delta flight to St. Thomas...and the plane leaves w/o us (and about 12 other ppl on that plane). They cannot put us on another flight until 10 the next morning. The taxi driver in St. Thomas guessed the airline was Delta...someone else (in the airline bus.) told us that Delta is awful. I had no idea this would happen; have always avoided connecting flights. Travelocity booked this trip. I thought 25 mins. between flights was odd, but I genuinely believed that the plane would wait for a connecting flight, esp. if it was Delta to Delta. Needless to say, no compensation. Be careful. "Fool me once..."

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

most people know that a 25 min connection is a disaster waiting to happen and do something about it.

planes do NOT usually wait for connecting passengers. missing slots costs airlines money!

as u said, "live and learn"

did your travel insurance cover the additional costs?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

I'm surprised 25 minutes was a legal connection in ATL. Travelocity may have messed up and forced a short connection Delta would normally not allow. Lesson learned is don't accept a short connection, especially if it is the last flight of the day to your destination.

What was the reason for the delay? If weather or air traffic control, Delta does not have to provide compensation.

Sometimes they will hold a flight, sometimes they won't. It all depends on what is best for the airline operations. They could very well have filled those 12 seats with people who misconnected earlier in the day.

All airlines have delays. All airlines deny compensation for weather problems and all airlines release connecting flights without waiting for delayed passengers. Thats life in the air travel world.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

<<I thought 25 mins. between flights was odd, but I genuinely believed that the plane would wait for a connecting flight, esp. if it was Delta to Delta.>>

I think you have a case against Travelocity, but you also need to help yourself in future by not accepting ludicrous connection times.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,155 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

HI

soemthing doesn't sound right.

If they are both Delta flights on same connecting ticket.

then Delta would have to have taken care of you

put you up for night with food vouchers.

delta has done this for me before when they have missed a connection which was their fault.

did travel velocity book you two seperate tickets for the flight.

I one time had to book two seperate tickets for connecting flights because the booking system would not allow any connection under 60 mins. the connection I wanted was 55 mins. and on domestic flight

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

Delta doesn't have to do anything for you unless it is their fault AND you have an otherwise legal connection time. Minimum legal domestic connection is 40 minutes. Legal international connection is usually greater than an hour, usually 90 minutes. Inbound (having to clear customs and immigration) connections are two hours on most airlines.

For future reference, a plane may land on time but you may not get off the plane for 20 minutes, and even if you arrive at the gate on time, if you are sitting in the back of the plane, you are often looking at 10-15 minutes to get out. There also might be a wait on the bridge to get gate checked bags.

At the other plane, remember you generally have to be in the boarding area 15 minutes before departure otherwise, your seat may be given away. You are supposed to be on the next plane by then. So, those two times alone total 30 minutes... and we haven't even thought of the time it takes to walk between the gates.

Why was the first plane late? Late arrival of the inbound aircraft? Weather? Mechanical? Air traffc delay? Even if you had arrived on time, the likelihood that you would have made the flight.

Not to be harsh, just realistic... Did you really save any money or have a "better experience" booking through Travelocity??? The flight wouldn't have been available on the airline site because to the too short connection time.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

Sorry...

Even if you had arrived on time, the likelihood that you would have made the flight... would have been small unless the gates were beside each other... and we are talking Atlanta here not Jackson Hole.

Unfortunately this is not Delta's fault.

12 people with the same illegal connection? 'Seems a bit much. Taxi driver probably heard "Atlanta" therefore thought Delta, plus, they picked you up right after the Delta flight landed. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out, so the inference they were saying that Delta is bad is unwarranted.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

Agreed, if you had booked through Delta directly, then you would not have been given such a short and inappropriate connection. Why use Travelocity? Just book directly with the airline, you get a better airfare anyways. I'm a Delta Silver Medallion (not the highest, I know), but I'm very happy overall with Delta and I totally love the Atlanta airport!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

A little Off topic.

This year I was on a Q A flight, Sydney to Hong Kong, which was over 4 hours late.Landed @ 1am. They Held back 4 flights for over 2 hours and rushed everbody to there flights. 1 to the Uk, 2 to the U.S and 1 to Soul. Great for the transit passagers, but not so good if you was sat in the terminal or sat on the plane for a extra 2 hours.

ian480.

9. Re: Missed a Delta to Delta Connecting Flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 05:20