We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fear of Flying

scotland
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fear of Flying

Hi

I am flying to Mombasa from Manchester in 4 weeks our holiday is with First choice can anyone tell me what the flight is like as i am terrified of Flying and it is only because my hubby is 40 i am doing this, Is it worth getting flight upgrades??

Please help

Karen

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Fear of Flying

>>...the next reason is usually put down to a mixture of drugs and altitude. it's very unwise to accept a new prescription drug specifically for flying problems without trying it first "on the ground" to ascertain any possible side affects.<<

I'm sorry, I'm apparently not understanding something in your statement, lien?

How can one determine if a drug will be suitable at altitude unless and until one is, ahem, in a plane at altitude?

And just what did I or anybody else say here to imply that anyone who gets a prescription for an anti-anxiety pill does not indeed try it first "on the ground"?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Fear of Flying

nowhere did in say try a new drug at altitude. that, as u rightly pointed out, is almost impossible. what i was suggesting (and suggesting is the operative word here)is that if u get a new drug prescribed it doesn't hurt to try it out under normal conditions to assess dosage level and side affects before taking it in an abnormal situation. nowhere did anyone imply not do this.

so i really don't understand your statement either, half brit.

but then again i was not thinking this was all about you. i will take this into consideration next time we have mutual postings on a thread. thanks for the heads up.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Fear of Flying

>>...or anybody else say here...<<

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Fear of Flying

> All it does is take the edge off.

Not being funny, but sometimes that lack of "edge" can mean the difference between life and death in an accident. The irony is that people who medicate in any way to overcome a fear of flying are in fact the ones most likely to be killed or injured in an accident because their response is inhibited. When you have 90 seconds to get out of an aircraft, you need to move as quickly as possible. Any of these prescription drugs, sleeping pills, alcohol etc. all reduce your ability to respond in an emergency, and those few seconds may be crucial.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Fear of Flying

"When you have 90 seconds to get out of an aircraft, you need to move as quickly as possible. Any of these prescription drugs, sleeping pills, alcohol etc. all reduce your ability to respond in an emergency, and those few seconds may be crucial."

** Fear alone would reduce my ability more than anything! As everyone keeps drumming into peoples head, the likely scenario of you getting involved in any kind of serious emergency situation on a plane is slim to none. So are people suggesting to risk having a severe panic attack, high blood pressure, sweating, vomitting, claustrophobia or at worst a heart attack, just incase you might have a plane crash?

Once again, I think you should speak with your doctor about your options and weigh up whether your fear warrants medication.

PP

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Fear of Flying

For karen and pareo, I think we're losing the point here I don't think it's helpfull to talk about emergency situations an accidents.as previous TA pointed out just look at all the flights all over the world taking off and landing safely.I'm flying 8 more times this year and as I hate it I'll continue to take my prescribed tranquilisers.I've done this for years or I could never have flown anywhere.I can assure you I am completely "with it" They just stop my imagination working overtime and relax me.I hope this is helpful to you both and hope you enjoy your holidays.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Fear of Flying

Air accidents are a non-issue. Do you think about car crashes every time you drive? Will you need to self-medicate for your drive to the airport? Yet car crashes are one of the leading causes of death in the U.S., whereas your chance of being in a plane crash is something like 1 in 11 million -- statistically zero.

I'm not trying to brush you off, but you need to recognize that your fear is a PHOBIA and not based on reality. I had a severe fear of flying for years until I read the book "Ask the Pilot." It's NOT actually intended to treat the fear of flying -- it's just a funny Q&A book from a pilot who's also a freelance writer. But it helped me understand how airplanes work, and how uneventful flying really is, and completely erased my fear of flying.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Fear of Flying

"I had a severe fear of flying for years until I read the book "Ask the Pilot." "

I may be quite wrong but I have a feeling that may be the work of the same author who pens this column: http://dir.salon.com/topics/ask_the_pilot/ online. It's very good, and explodes (sorry if inappropriate term to use!) many of the myths about flying, turbulence and other aviation-related "stuff".

karenb9, I hope you have a lovely, relaxing flight and a great holiday. I will admit that I'm one of those who do use prescription sedatives when flying long-haul, not because of any phobia but because I have to be able to function work-wise at the other end. If that means I don't get out in a statistically-very-unlikely incident/accident, then so be it! You have to do what's right/what works for you.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,076 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Fear of Flying

> Do you think about car crashes every time you drive?

Yes, to the extent that I don't drink alcohol before I get behind the wheel, because I know it will affect my ability to react in an emergency.

Likewise I don't take drugs or drink before I fly. I may not be flying the aircraft, but I need to be able to react quickly if need-be.

Popcornpaws, you don't know how you would react until you have been through something like that. But just as if you had taken a drug and got behind the wheel, you can be sure that your ability to react will be impaired because you have "taken the edge off".

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Fear of Flying

hiya all you know i was scared about flying before i read this topic ......now im absolute terrified of it, what with all the talk about crashing and 90 seconds to get off an aircraft in an emergency!!!

glad im amongst friends....!