We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fear of Flying

scotland
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fear of Flying

Hi

I am flying to Mombasa from Manchester in 4 weeks our holiday is with First choice can anyone tell me what the flight is like as i am terrified of Flying and it is only because my hubby is 40 i am doing this, Is it worth getting flight upgrades??

Please help

Karen

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Fear of Flying

Well, I am sure there might be a statistic to back up some of these Strike Fear Into the Hearts of Men / Women stories about flying while under the influence of drugs... but I can only speak for myself...

I have been flying since I was 10 days old, although according to mom, I was not taking any xanax at that time... I have , Thank God, not been in any scary flight situations.. other than having a fellow passenger get sick and I worried he would throw up on us .. other than that ... I have had the good luck not to have to be the one to toss the unconscious pilot out of the way and take over the wheel, nor have I been the one who had to open the door and open the chute and be sure everyone got out safely..

I just got on the plane and let them take care of me and get me there alive.. sometimes on time and thankfully, almost always with all my luggage waiting for me.

And I have seen slobbering drunks on planes snap to attention when we hit turbulence so for some reason, I am not going to worry about someone / myself taking a mild anti anxiety med to keep from having a miserable flight.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Fear of Flying

FL, you're right, that's why it's a phobia -- it never helped me to know my odds were 1 in 11 million, because I just obsessed about "what if" -- but having a basic understanding of how an airplane works helped a lot, and realizing that my flight isn't "special." Like, to me it's a big event, because I'm going on a vacation I've been planning for months. But to the pilot -- it's more like "Whoop-dee-doo, fly to Miami, fly home, do it again tomorrow." It's just a job to them, nothing worth debating and worrying about :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Fear of Flying

lol, karamelli, whoop dee do .. another flight to Paris.. ho hum .. here we go ... time to go to sleep .. :O)

I am usually so busy going over the list in my head of what I packed, did I remember this or that , that the plane is in the air and I forgot to get tense ... ( of course, with my drug habit, I would not have been tense anyway ... and then of course, I would have been useless if upon take off, they asked me to open the door LOL) .....

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Fear of Flying

> In my opinion alcohol is more of a concern than one anti-anxiety pill...

Sorry PP, but in terms of how they affect your ability to react they are exactly the same. And when seconds count I for one want to be at my most alert. The slobbering drunks may become more alert, but they still will not react as quickly as they would sober. That's just a fact, and all this rationalisation is similar to the driver who insists he's fine beacause he has only haf a couple.

All I am saying is make an informed choice when you choose to medicate. If the medication has no effect, why take it? Yes the odds are small and that's a factor to consider too. But if the worst doers happen I want to be at my best.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Fear of Flying

WorldVoyager- thats fine, Im not asking you to take medication. We are all adults and can make our own decisions on advice from our doctors. If you are concerned about other passengers taking up your valuable time incase of an emergency, choose an aisle seat and close to an exit.

PP.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Fear of Flying

> WorldVoyager- thats fine, Im not asking you to take medication

And I am not saying that you shouldn't. I am saying, make an informed choice, including understanding that taking medication will affect your ability to react in an emergency.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Fear of Flying

Tell you what, I'll continue to make my informed choice about sitting in the window-seat and taking my sedative on those ULR/pre-business meeting flights, if you're happy to sit in the aisle seat? Deal? ;-)

(meant in the most light-hearted way)

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Fear of Flying

Thanks, but I prefer middle seats! :-)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Fear of Flying

Well, I am a bit of a lightweight so I don't see anyone asking me to open any doors unless every able bodied man has jumped out first ... I generally sit in the seat by the window ..

scotland
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
60. Re: Fear of Flying

Thanks to all for your replies and especially thanks to them who have put the fear of god into me more taking about accidents My god wish i could cancel