We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turbulence forcast

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
858 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
turbulence forcast

Hello.....I am flying from Washington DC to Zurich this evening. I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that can predict how much turbulence there should be. I found one website, but couldn't understand the map. Thanks so much. Also do boeing 767's have good safety records compared to other similiar aircraft models? Thanks.

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: turbulence forcast

Trying to predict turbulence is impossible, and certainly for a long flight like that. Sometimes the pilots don't know the plane is going to hit turbulence until it actually happens.

Boeing has delivered a total of 977 767s since 1982. Out of those, four have crashed - with fatalities and I believe only one of those accidents (Lauda Air on 26 May 1991 in Thailand) was related to mechanical problems. The other accidents had causes that were unrelated to the aircraft type (pilots flying into mountains, etc.). And in addition to these 4 fatal accidents, two more (the 2 that were flown into the WTC on 9/11) that obviously were unrelated to the aircraft type.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
858 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turbulence forcast

Thanks for the help.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,798 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: turbulence forcast

What he/she said, plus...

You'd have to be able to figure out the routing, and you don't have that info.

The pilots will pick the least bumpy route and altitude. They don't like the bumps either... it makes it hard to tango in that little space ;-)

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: turbulence forcast

Know oliverlevitt has already flown now but couldn't resist commenting.....

I bet you made him feel much better hawaiipalms, about his flight after letting him know of the fatalities that have occured - know there wasn't many but it's the last thing you want to hear before flying....

Made me giggle tho (obviously not about the crashes, just his face as he was readin your reply!!!)

Hope he had an uneventful one...

Pahoa. HI
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: turbulence forcast

kirky3 - I'm sure you're right - hearing about accidents and fatalities just before you get on a plane may not be what you want to hear. BUT, when you ask the question, be ready for the answer!! Plus, with almost 1000 aircraft built and delivered over almost 30 years, a handful of accidents, and no matter how they occurred, is really very, very insignificant. As long as you didn't have the misfortune of being on one of those planes...

6. Re: turbulence forcast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 06:17