We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MAS fule surcharge reductions

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
MAS fule surcharge reductions

If we had our flights booked through an agent more than 12 months ago, will we still get a reduction in our flight costs/repayment?

Cheers

Bill

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MAS fule surcharge reductions

Strange. Airlines don't normally accept bookings greater than 12 months out, and you seldom get the best prices until a few months before departure. Are you sure your agent was able to book it?

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MAS fule surcharge reductions

Yes, we booked in April 2008, whether that means they hold the cash and then book it I don't know?

Bill

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MAS fule surcharge reductions

MH doesn't allow bookings for over a year so I don't know how your travel agent managed that. Also, you shouldn't have had to pay for your flight(s) until the tickets are issued (usually about a month before travel) ... your agent can then tell you the exact fare including airport taxes, fuel surcharges (if any).

However if you've paid (why did you??), there won't be a refund ... and MH thanks you for the additional price you paid :) ... you may be aware that airfares have dropped dramatically in the last 6 months. Even SQ has a great sale with fares from the LHR/SIN/KUL starting at 400 quid with travel ending September 2009. Ditto MH with travel ending 30 November 2009. In this uncertain times, I'd say wait a few months before your intended travel date to buy your ticket.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MAS fule surcharge reductions

Sounds like you need to have a nice fatherly talk with your travel agent.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MAS fule surcharge reductions

Thanks for the advice guys,

having looked at the MH website and a return to KL comes in at around £750 on the dates we travel, and we have paid around £850 return to DPS, so I'm thinking I didn't get such a bad deal?

Bill

6. Re: MAS fule surcharge reductions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 06:17