We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Window seats

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Window seats

On a recent flight back from Bangkok to London via Abu Dhabi in daytime hours throughout, we couldn't get a window seat on the London leg because they had all been taken when we checked in.

Yet,on the flight after the meal, almost without exception, down came the blinds with the occupants soon zzzzzzing gently.

Now here's one traveller who likes to see something of the world we live in. So spare a thought for us you window hoggers. If you're not bothered about seeing out, why choose a window seat? And don't tell me it's because you like to lean against the window to sleep. I hardly saw anyone doing that!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,464 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Window seats

Beacuase window seaters like to have control over the window, whether that be having it up or down.

I'm someone who prefers the window seats too and it does annoy me a little when someone just shuts them. Ho hum.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Window seats

Hear, Hear!

Extremely irritating. A once in a lifetime chance to look out on the Alps, Kilimanjaro, the Red Sea or wherever, and people treat it like it was a trip through the Channel Tunnel.

If someone dozes beside a window seat, you should be allowed to claim that seat and swap with them.

grrr

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,013 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Window seats

Absolutely. Wake the bu**ers up and tell them what you can't see. When they dose off, shake em again. It won't stop it but it helps you feel better.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Window seats

I couldnt agree more.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Window seats

HI

this post has been done before

in the same vain as seat reclining

I would much rather sleep than look out at ocean at 35000 ft.

granted if you are flying over scenery and when landing then the window shades should be up.

but nothing bothers me more than some inconsiderate

person opening their shades on a 14 hr red eye flight after meals, and the lights have been turned off. many times the FA actually ask's passengers to shut shades. so the vast majority can sleep.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,013 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Window seats

<<I would much rather sleep than look out at ocean at 35000 ft.>>

And you have every right to do so. I think the complaint here is those that grab the window seat and then zzz. They don't need a window seat to do that except to not have folk climb over their recumbent from..

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Window seats

Or for just a few $'ss you could get a pair of those elasticated eyeshields which block out any offending light.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,540 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Window seats

Or fly with an airline which offers eyeshades as part of the amenity kit: BA have them available, even for pax in WT.

However. The 20 minute call should (I think) mean windowshades up as well as seatbacks up and seatbelts on. Just my two penn'orth, from the woman in the aisle seat.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Window seats

Hi,

Normally, unless there is something of value (a subjective term) to look at enroute, and we are over water, once meal service is completed I normally announce something..

"For those sitting by the windows and not enjoying the over water views, we would kindly ask you to please lower your window shades to allow for better viewing of the video screens and to allow other to better sleep."

Conversly, on flights where there is a specific view or visable point of major interest, I'd announce something like

"For those passengers sitting on the right hand side of the aircraft you can get a look at the Great Wall of China visible just beyond the aircraft wing. If you are sitting at a window on the right hand side, unless uncomfortable for you, we would kindly ask you to open your window shade to allow others to view."

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Window seats

I love love love to fly, and my favorite thing about it is staring out the window from 35,000 feet. It's amazing what you can see, and I love it. That's why I always book a window seat, keep track of my itinerary from time to time (in case of equipment/seat changes) and check-in online as soon as possible to secure that window seat.

That being said, if one is not available, I would certainly not feel comfortable opening someone's window once it's been closed. If a late-night light issue is at hand, I've asked that the window be closed, and it always has been.