We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedatives

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sedatives

Does anybody know of any good sedatives to take for a long flight. I dont like Flying at all and I was hoping to take something for my flight from Manchester to Cancun that will knock me out. Obviously I will be going to the doctors but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedatives

As you've stated in your own post, your GP is the only place you should be going to discuss sedatives. There are plenty on the market which will have the desired effect but, without knowing your medical history; allergies, intolerances, pre-existing conditions etc, nobody on TA (medically-qualified or not) is in any position to advise you which drug would suit you best.

Good luck, and please try not to worry about your flight.

FL410

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedatives

tempting though this idea is, any doctor would want his head read before complying with this request. think about your safety and that of others around you.

pam

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedatives

I don't think this is a strange request at all.

I wouldn't want something to "knock me out completely" but something that relaxes you so you can sleep .

I have something I keep around that is an anti anxiety prescription which helps me to sleep on a flight.

It doesn't mean though, that I wouldn't wake up if I had to use the rest room or if there was an emergency.

Also IF you get something you should try it first in the safety of your home. Don't take a new medication for the first time on a flight.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,789 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedatives

> It doesn't mean though, that I wouldn't wake up if I had to use the rest room or if there was an emergency.

You would wake up, but would you be able to react as quickly as if you had taken nothing? People take these things precisely because they have an effect. That effect lasts a long time, and will impede your reaction times without you even being aware of it.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedatives

We had a good thread on this topic a few months ago but it may be difficult to find.

"Knock me out" may be a little over the top if taken literally. There are meds that help you get to sleep but are out of your system relatively soon thereafter. That is the hurdle most people face... getting to sleep.

There are non-medication aids that you can do to help your situation, primarily composed of a good REM facemask (one that does not touch your eyes), and a pair of decent soft earplugs.

As for over-the-counter meds, benadryl works well. We should not be recommending prescription meds here, but without recommending, many people take **a little** valium to help them relax and sleep on planes, but this has to be taken from your own prescription from your doctor. And wise words from another poster... don't take any medication for the first time on the plane. And taking more than you should because "I'm really stressed" can have very bad results.

I myself don't take any meds when flying (unless getting over a cold), and very seldom when not. But that is me.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,741 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedatives

Benadryl is my choice too. OTC and cheap. I used to use Tylenol PM, but sometimes that seems to get me wired up even more. I actually discovered the benadryl worked by mistake a couple years ago after a case of stress induced hives, ironically from traveling too much.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedatives

The best thing to take to knock you out for the flight is over the counter 'Night Nurse' liquid, not capsules. Put the amount specified in a small carry on bottle & take it once you are settled down & ready for sleep. It works within 30 minutes.

I've tried every remedy available and NN is the only one that works. Don't tell them at the chemists what you want it for, as they may ask. I just say I have a cold.

If you take other meds ask the chemist if it's OK to take NN, this is VERY important as they may not be compatible.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedatives

Thanks for the replys. I didnt mean Knock me out completely but something that can help me to sleep or relax me during the flight. I am sick of being terrified everytime I fly.

I may give Night Nurse a try though.

Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedatives

Superdrug have a herbal tablet - Quiet Night it might be called - that will let you relax and a have a bit of sleep but won't have a hangover effect.

Speak to your GP, speak to the Pharmacist if you're given something that needs collecting at the dispensary, and please adhere to the recommended dose.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sedatives

hiya glasgow true, well this was a topic a couple of weeks ago my doctor gives me 4 valium when im going on a flight, i take a valium when im in the departure lounge, just before we board the aircraft and no it dosent knock me unconcious or send me dolally that i dont know what im doing, it just relaxes me, untill we get airborne then im fine this is all because i had a dodgy experiance going on a tupaluv 254 aircraft(sp?) since then it either a 1 valium to help me get on the aircraft or id never fly again, and there is no chance of that, but hey i think i might try the night nurse one next time, maggieomx