We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

I have now flown four times to and from the Philippines with KLM economy class and the food on board must rank against the worlds worst for lack of choice and imagination for a 12 hour flight.

I travelled last on Thursday my route being Newcastle UK to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to Manila.

The menu was thus Newcastle leg on the 09.35 was TUC biscuits the Manila leg Diner/Pasta "no choice" Supper/ Pot Noddles or a Cheese sandwich Breakfast/Hot Egg and Cheese sandwich piece of cake and small fresh fruit selection with what can only be described as a kind of dessert.

That was the sustinance we were offerd on a jouney that for us started when we left our houseat 06.30am

on the 23rd July and finished on the 24th July at 08,05 Manila time.

We ended up eating the fresh fruit and the cups of water and orange juice only.

Airlines like KLM are taking advantage of the captive audience flying to the Philippines and serving up poor food with little or no choice and considering that a return ticked averages £550.00 and the food spend per economy passenger averages between £12/15.00 its a poor return for the passenger.

But KLM remember we have a choice so you better wake up and smell the coffee or you will be flying empty.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,544 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

Hi,

I'd write to KLM and let them know.. It's surprising since KLM owns and operated (thru a subsidiary) their own catering arm; KLM Catering Services Schiphol for all AMS origin services..

Out of Manila they use the inflight catering services of PAL..

While one letter will not move KLM to change anything, if they continue to receive negative reviews of their catering selections it could instigate changes.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,879 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

I've flown KLM to BKK three times and the food has always been dreadful so I feel your pain. Some of it was actually inedible. The last time was the worst. Sone kind of south American bean salad (the old joke of it's bean salad but what is it now comes to mind) and a main of chicken which was at least edible - just. If I ever fly them again, and I wont unless its a 777, not those old, crappy 747 combi's, I'll take my own food.

Went to JFk last month and outbound it was actually OK but inbound not as bad as the BKK sector but not far off.

The sector between the UK and here you always just get biscuits, TUC or Oreo's. At least you still get a drink though and tea/coffee if you want.

The food and the surly FA's are some of the reasons KLM are only rated as a 3 star airline on airlinequality.com

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,048 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

It's not just the food. How about planes that still don't have PTV's?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,235 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

<<KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.>>

If you think the inboard is bad you should try eating Outboard. Everything is served frozen.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,768 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

I don't understand why you continue to suffer it. Why not take your own food for the journey?

It must be preferable to going through the obvious misery again.

I don't think any airline food is that great, but I'm usually optimistic that next time will be better. However, after your second trip to Manila, I think you should have changed airlines or taken the initiative.

Banchory, Scotland
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

It's not just the food! I have flown with KLM several times and each flight has been dire! When there are problems they just don't care! Just stand there looking pretty and be arrogant and hope the pleb, sorry passenger goes away! KLM are awful, definitely not flying with them again!

7. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 01:05
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

It adds one more component to the process of packing for a trip, but I almost always take our own food. I try to be creative and pack food that falls into the gourmet category. I use a little cooler that I freeze in my freezer and will keep our food fresh for 24 hours. The airline cannot count food you bring on-board as part of your carry-luggage; although once my husband did stick our food bag into a McDonald's sack to avoid grief from the Gate Agent.

We love to fly, and we love to eat good food while we are flying. It is nice not to depend upon the airline to provide something eatable, and fun to know we have something we know we like to look forward to eating.

I also keep trail mix, some favorite candy, dried fruit, fresh fruit and sometimes small cans of canned fruit in the carry-on I put under my seat. There is no reason to be miserable about a situation you can manage yourself. Pack your own food.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
444 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

Sounds like KLM has changed since I last flew with them 5 years ago. I remember the food being fine - breakfast MAN-AMS was a gouda or edam sandwich, which I guess passes as a light continental breakfast - better than TUC anyway! I can't remember what was served AMS-YYZ, apart from the fab pistachio ice cream - but I do remember being very happy with the food, and somewhat full! The crew were lovely, and very generous with the little bottles of wine. This was in economy.

I have been warned. Looks like my next 6am flight will be preceded by a hearty Wetherspoons breakfast, or at least a Greggs bacon roll!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KLM and the dreadful inboard cusine.

>> I have now flown four times to and from the Philippines with KLM

Why do you keep flying KLM when you are not happy with their food? Several other airlines fly to Manila.

Emirates have flights from Newcastle via Dubai, Qatar Airways from Manchester via Doha, Etihad from Manchester via Abu Dhabi etc.