We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

Stratford UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Topic
British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

Bad news :-(

From 7th October 2009 for tickets booked and travelled from that date, BA are REDUCING the baggage allowance in Economy from 2 x 23KG each to ONE x 23Kg per person

britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

HUNTINGDON,ENGLAND
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

I have travelled BA economy and as far as I know it has always been 23kg in one checked bag.

Emirates is now 30kg in one checked bag

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

<<as far as I know it has always been 23kg in one checked bag.>>

Not so, its been two on anything other than UK internal for a long time and their website still shows it as two.

HUNTINGDON,ENGLAND
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

Sorry must have got it wrong but my last tickets said baggage allowance 23kg per person.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

Hi

I have travelled BA a few times to LA and it was always 2x 23kg. Bit of a bummer for me as always travel home with more than I left with. I just wonder how long before the rest of the airlines on that route join in.

Clive

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,081 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

The routes to/from the Americas have always been 2 bags - it used to be 2x32kg, now it's 2x23kg, BUT virtually all other routes have been one bag for a very long time if you are in the cheap seats

The main change seems to be a slight increase in overweight charges at US airports and that Gold & Silver members will get an INCREASED luggage allowance in that they'll be able to have 2 bags regardless of which class they travel in.

If you don't believe me, read the existing rules

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,081 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

<<< I just wonder how long before the rest of the airlines on that route join in. >>>

New rules - Allowances for Brazil, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and direct connections between India and USA, Bermuda and Canada - World Traveller Plus World Traveller - Two standard-sized bags

Old rules - Allowances for USA, Canada, Caribbean, Ghana, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria and South America - World Traveller Plus and World Traveller - Two standard-sized bags

So in fact quite a number of people are going to get higher luggage allowances

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

Hi

Yes, you reminded me, did get 2x32. Did downsize my case when they reduced the weight. Made the case fit in the rental easier!

I have not checked but £40 one way for second bag sounds a bit hefty. Is this in line with other carriers?

Clive

London UK
Level Contributor
405 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

The BA website indicates that the allowance in economy is 2 bags, the joint weight must not exceed 23kg (51lbs).

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

Hi

If this is the rules for now you are allowed 2 bags @ 23kg so a total of 46kg in total plus a generous hand baggage. This is for USA anyhow, not certain on other routes.

Clive

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,540 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways reducing baggage allowance fromn oct 09

Do note that the change of allowance for checked baggage is for pax flying in the World Traveller cabin to and from Canada and the USA. Pax flying in World Traveller+ will still be allowed to check two bags; BAEC Gold and Silver card holders will be allowed to check two bags if travelling in WT.