We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

London
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

Hi

I am not sure if this is the right forum but here goes, we are going on an 11 hour flight in a couple of weeks time by Kuwait Airways, no we haven't heard of them either and have heard the planes are a bit old, anyway thats besides the point, my point is my mother is dreading the flight, don't get me wrong she's not afraid of flying she would just prefer it if she could just fall asleep easily and wake up at the holiday destination refreshed, but alas we find it impossible to fall asleep whilst flying, I was recommended Nytol the night time one, as my bros gf took one of these before she boarded a flight to Oz and before the flight even took off she was sleeping like a baby, Great! we said, these sounded just what my mother needed, so I set off today to get some but oh no! whilst reading the small print on the back of the pack I found out she wouldn't be able to take them as she has a stomach ulcer, apparently she can only take the herbal ones, if anyone disagrees please please say, anyway the is a great disappointment as some of these don't seem to work, I tried Nytol Herbal Tablets only to be disappointed, thus I finally come to my question are there any herbal tablets out there that really work, as there are so many I wonder if anyone on here could recommend a good herbal tablet, please help and leave your recommendations here it will be greatly appreciated?

Sammyg

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

I have friends who swear by Tylenol PM. Does she tolerate that pain reliever? Some herbal products can be as dangerous as "OTC" medicines. Hemlock is a natural herbal product but I doubt you want to offer that as an option!!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,539 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

Every once in a while we have this question come up. A search for "benadryl" on this forum will bring them up.

I'm pretty insistent that people do not take medications that are used to treat colds and cold symptoms, or any medication that is meant to treat other conditions just because the side effect is drowsiness. Standard response, particularly important in this situation would be to see your physician.

That being said, people are likely going to appear here vouching for various substances. Be very wary as many contain elements that could result in aggravation of the existing condition.

"Herbal" doesn't mean "safe".

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,539 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

Sigh... as I said but didn't respond fast enough...

As Tylenol PM can cause bleeding and potentially interfere with existing medication. See your doctor.

To others...

This is a situation that needs to be handled by qualified people *only*. Recommendations for what works for you, your mother, or your friend's uncle Jimmy could injur this person. Let them go to their own doctor.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

IMO, 11 hour flights in coach are quite generally not very comfortable, and I would be dreading this trip too. Your mom should not take medical advice from friends or from a chat board.

I would advise her to consult her doctor. As already posted, some herbal remedies can be quite dangerous and are not to be used by everyone.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

THese are the type of Aircraft used by Kuwait airways. Unfortunately without the registration number (in the USA it would be, I think a number starting with N), it would be impossible to tell how old the aircraft are.

www.kuwait-airways.com/Default.aspx…

An A320 is pretty comfortable for an airplane, but not a long of room. Unless you get all the seats in the row

They do have a couple of Boeing 777's

Here's some info on Kuwait Airways:

compareairlinefees.com/Airline_Ticket/Kuwait…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,593 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

If you and your mother can't book to speak to her doctor, then do have a word (or several) with a Pharmacist.

If she's had a stomach ulcer but is not now taking medication for it (often something that is spelled xxxprazole) then she may have more from which to choose. But that's just one thing to consider, so please do speak to a Pharmacist or Physician, as they're much better qualified to say, especially if your Pharmacist will have her medication profile to hand.

There is a herbal sleeping aid that I take that works quite well: Superdrug's Quiet Night tablets are the business, with no hangover effect. But again, please please please do ask one of your mother's health care providers about taking the med before doing so.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

Hi.

Actually, the age of the aircraft on Kuwait Airways depends on an aircraft type. Find the aircraft type by looking at the schedules or your booking itineary.

By referring to airfleets.net/ageflotte/Kuwait%20Airways.htm, the A330s are the youngest while the A300, A310 and A320 are the oldest.

You should be quite safe on Kuwait.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,143 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

There are a variety of medications a doctor can suggest that will promote sleep. Your mother should absolutely see her own physician about obtaining something effective.

Personally, I rarely sleep the night before a major flight so I am almost always able to sleep since I will have been awake for 24 hours or more before I get on the plane.

I do not do this to permit myself to sleep. I am just not able to pack until the last minute. The ability to sleep is just a side benefit I get from procrastination. No one can stay awake for much more than 24 hours without slipping off to sleep.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

The cold medication sold over the counter in the UK, Night Nurse. Works really well to get you off to sleep. Try it before you fly & see if it works for you.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help! sleeping on a difficult long flight

Hi,

Like Geo, I too don't advocate using medications to induce sleep onboard unless specifically prescribed as such.

Rather, I eat a light meal before flight or lightly once on-board, and I drink lots of water.. Not alcohol or sweet juices, but water.. You'd be surprised just how dry it is at that altitude.

To help me relax for a nap, I change into a comfortable shirt (I normally wear a long sleeve shirt and tie), take off my lace up shoes and use my cabin slippers and lastly apply some re-wetting eye drops, hydrating face and hand creme.. after that I can normally fall asleep in short order.

Travel Safe,