We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JET2 to Sharm with "on the beach"

Cheshire
Level Contributor
450 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
JET2 to Sharm with "on the beach"

Hi, just about to book our holiday to Sharm with the on-line company "on the beach" They have given me a fantastic price BUT we fly with Jet2 and I have NEVER flown with a budget airline before. We can have 22kg of hold luggage which is brill as I don't travel lightly. What is really worrying me if all this check-in stuff. I am booking on-line so when we get to Manchester airport, do Jet2 have a desk and we go and they weigh our case, just like with First Choice or someone? Also, the 22kg..does that have to be in 1 case or can we split the allownance up into 2 smaller cases..it makes it so much easier on my hubby to carry (we are 60's) I have heard people say it is like a cattle wagon, surley people aren't that rude. We don't mind the no frills we can take our own sandwiches...but can we get a drink? a wee dram, just to keep us warm?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JET2 to Sharm with "on the beach"

> We can have 22kg of hold luggage which is brill as I don't travel lightly.

You may find you have to pay extra for that. Look at the OTB site very closely. It should say something like "Flight with a no frills carrier. Baggage and other charges may apply. " So you may find your holiday price increasing. And no, you can't split the 22kgs between two bags unless you pay the fee for a second bag (and with two people travelling that would give you 44kgs total in any event).

Jet2 has check in desks at Manchester, and they assign seats so you don't have the scramble to board that you do with some other no frills airlines. The check in procedure will be the same as you have experienced with other airlines. You can certainly buy drinks on board.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
450 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JET2 to Sharm with "on the beach"

Hi world voyager, thank you so much for replying. I am so silly. I think I misled you. The price for the flight & hotel is excellent. I telephoned them and spoke to a lovely young lady because there were some questions I wanted to ask...about the luggage. She told me that we can have 10kg to take on board, but usually don't take anything except my handbag...We are paying £22 each person, each way...to have 22kgs of hold luggage...so if I understand you correctly that is 1 suitcase only each with 22kgs in each case. Usually airline let me put my cabin allownance in the hold but the lady said NO! I'm sure we will be OK, most of the reviews are favourable, I just worry if I don't know what I am doing and things aren't familiar. I'm a proper worry pot:)

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,272 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JET2 to Sharm with "on the beach"

> so if I understand you correctly that is 1 suitcase only each with 22kgs in each case.

Yes, that is correct. But if you only want to take say 22kgs of checked luggage between you, you can certainly put 11 in each case for ease of carrying. But you can take up to 44kgs total split evenly between the two bags.

> I'm a proper worry pot

Better to worry and ask beforehand and so avoid nasty surprises at the airport that might put a damper on your holiday. I think I speak for many on this forum who wish more people were like you and asked first rather than complain after!

wales
Level Contributor
555 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JET2 to Sharm with "on the beach"

Best check with airline wether 22kgs is for one bag only!!! We just flew with thompson who allowed 20kgs hold baggage per passenger but only one hold bag allowed p.p. They charged us £16 for third hold bag even though the whole three bags only came to 34kgs!!! And no they didnt take into account that we had no cabin baggage of 5kgs p.p. Their loss wont fly with them again!!!!

5. Re: JET2 to Sharm with "on the beach"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:17