We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport trials naked passenger scanner

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Airport trials naked passenger scanner

Sorry if this has come up previously, (I did look but couldn't find another post on it).

Manchester airport is trialling a new body scanner where it takes naked images of passengers, showing the outline of most your private parts and body piercings.

Not too sure whether I'd prefer the traditional scan, or safe time and go through the new scanner.

…yahoo.com/a/…

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

anything that speeds up the onerous process is ok by me. from what i saw on tv last night the whole thing is anonymous until they spot something unusual so dont really care what "they" see. better that than a face to face "pat down" which apparently still goes on at some airports but i have not had one for years.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

Sorry lien, count disagree with you more. I will not go through the "body image scanner". The whole creep in the security process is stupid.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

Is this the same as has been used at AMS for a couple of years now?

If so, it's no big deal - although the queue to go through this machine didn't actually move quicker than the normal queue.

I warranted a pat down for some tissues in my pocket.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,571 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

Here's what I don't get (pls enlighten me). In the US you must pull your laptop (computer) out of it's case and put it into a bin by itself to go through the x-ray. You must take off your suit jacket too but you can't add it to the same bin (on top of the computer). Why? I mean, isn't this an XRAY machine? TSA never answers my ? when I ask them.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

As a kindness to the scanner operator (and I fly from Manchester often) I will carry an inflight sickness bag at the ready because when (s)he sees my silhouetted "bits" I can predict the consequence.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,856 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

I had to walk through a new scanner at IAH the other day. I had to tak everything out of my pockets and hold it over my head. I forgot my wallet in my back pocket and while its bulge was concealed from view, they still "saw" it. These things don't speed up the line. It took about 15-20 seconds to get positioned right and 2 seconds to be scanned... much longer than simply walking through a detector... but better than those sniffer machines.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,383 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

These have been around for a while now. I remember using one at Heathrow over 4yrs back.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

This one is a new type that you can keep your belt/jacket etc on and not have to empty your pockets. Sounds like teenage fantasy come to life!!!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

I must agree with GeoMedic. I can't see how these machines will speed up the line. If you could walk straight through without stopping, like the swine flu machines did, then I would see the advantage.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,585 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport trials naked passenger scanner

I haven't been through one yet so I don't know if it speeds up anything. I personally wouldn't mind going through one. I might feel funny the first couple of times, but I wouldn't really care in the long run. I'd be flattered if they take an interest in my "nudity."