We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf Airways

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gulf Airways

Hi All,

I am flying Gulf Air from LHW to Dubai via Bahrain on Thursday. I didn't know about them before booking but since I have read hideous reviews about missing connections,delays, rude airhostesses and over booking.

I am treating my mum to this trip and it is a short break so I really am worried that the above might all happen to us!

Can anyone tell me anything about them. Someone at work told me they have upgraded their fleet and are much better now, but I am still nervous - which is very unlike me when flying!

Any advice appreciated. Also as someone whos never done a transfer before, will I need to get off the plane and find a new one... Im scared of losing my luggage! Would rather sit on the same plane! Lol...! xx

Thanks all! xx

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gulf Airways

Your flight from LHR to BAH will be on a 2 year old Boeing 777 leased from Jet Airways, India.

You have to change planes at BAH. Bahrain Airport is a small airport, so 1:45 is plenty of time. You can check your luggage through to DXB, so you don't have to worry about that.

The flight from BAH to DXB will be on an Airbus A320. Gulf Air have a couple of brand new A320's, but also some that are 17 years old.

The only thing I was happy about when I flew Gulf Air a couple of years ago, was the meal service.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gulf Airways

Am Gulf silver FF-never had a problem with them and as the previous poster says they do run modern a/c on your routes.

Transit security at Bahrain can be a bit of a wait dependent on number of flights arriving but the airport is compact and connections should be Ok-I have done a 1 hour connection with a Muscat flight.

Service is not bad and also the airline is not dry on the LHR route!

It is typical that posters here,and on other sites, never post positive comments but this is common across most airlines.

Let us know how you get on.

SS

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gulf Airways

I did this trip in economy (although via Muscat rather than Bahrain) about 20 months ago and everything was fine. They even managed to serve a snack on the short (less than 1 hour) hop between Dubai and Muscat. Can't particularly remember anything especially good about seats, service, food or entertainment, but then neither can I remember anything particularly bad! All 4 flights were on time, the connections in Muscat were no problem, and my case made it to the destination at the same time as I did!

I remember reading a quote (can't remember by whom) that said "There are only two emotions when flying: boredom and terror". I'll take boredom every time!

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gulf Airways

Thanks I feel utterlly reassured now! I will post after I come back from holiday letting you know how I faired :)

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gulf Airways

i flew gulf a few years back and the flight london to bahrain was in my top 3 flights ever ,for comfort /service,was seriously impressed ,we then changed planes in bahrain and boarded another gulf flight to sri lanka i believe ,now the contrast couldnt have been greater ,this was a real old beaten up plane which apeared to be full of domestic workers going home .so anyway ,i reckon your flight london to bahrain should be a good one..

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gulf Airways

Music

your duff flight was in the old days of one class Gulf Traveller (prob a 767) now defunct.

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gulf Airways

Ok...so I am back from my Dubai trip and heres my review of Gulf Air.

Thursday morning I get a text saying my flight has been cancelled (my connection from BAH to DXB) I completley freak out after all the reviews I read and see myself stranded in Bahrain! I phone them immediately (annoyingly the text came with no phone number....!) so I call and burst into tears and the helpful operator books me on the next avaliable connection and calms me down. She was delightful. Shame I now have a four hour stop over.

The LHW to BAH leg of the journey leaves on time, the food is excellent, the airhostesses were delightful. The plane was brand spanking new. My only complaints would be that at the back of the plane (the seats we had were right at the very back...) the seats didnt recline at all.... not a problem until the person in front FULLY reclined their seat and the chair in front goes sooo far back it basically bops me on the head!

The Bahrain stop over was far too long. There is nothing to do in that airport. The currency is different to DXB so i didnt have the correct currency to buy myself a drink so they wanted £10 stirling from one coffee in costa because they couldnt give me change. Think Gulf Air should have brought me a coffee as compensation there for being stuck on the ground for so long. I had my laptop and theres free wifi so wasnt as bad as could be.

The Bahrain to Dubai leg the plane was still nice and new - but they decided to not use allocated seating, this had the effect of hundred of indian workers who were getting the flight literally knocking me over to try and get on to get a seat. Was a real free for all and VERY uncomfortable. I never understand this mentality...doesn't get you anywhere faster.

The snack provided was a chicken sandwhich - which would have been fine except that it was dry chicken on dry bread. Bit of mayo would have made it edible.

The plane was slightly older and bit rickety... the turbulence made it shack no end on landing and was very unnerving even for a seasoned flyer like me!

Entertainment systems - 6 movies on the medium haul flights. Nothing on short haul but so short wasnt needed. Some TV choice. English and Arabic options.

Overall was happy...not emirates standard, and some services could be better and the check in at LHW was nothing special (although they are moving as of today so this might improve!) but I would fly with them again. 3.5/5 marks from me.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,690 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gulf Airways

Thanks for feedback, so often posters cannot be bothered.

Sounds like a mixed bag of service and I think your marking is about right.

I personally would not use Gulf to get to Dubai but for other connections such as Muscat it suits me fine

I think if I was going further afield to SE Asia & didn't mind a plane change then the competition in the area from quality airlines such as Emirates,Etihad and Qatar means that Gulf Air can only compete on price,not quality.

But-you (and your luggage) got back safely!

Vancouver, Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gulf Airways

I'm flying LHR - BKK in December with a 1ish hour stopover in Bahrain......... it all should go to plan, I hope.

One question: do certain airlines not serve alcohol? I've heard such but can't really find any information on a relatively rediculous question - but some of us have a GnT on take-off habit to support......??

London
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gulf Airways

Gulf air serve alochol. The main middle eastern airlines that is dry is Kuwait Airways and Saudi. I tend to put Gulf in the second tier of airlines (my expression) not as good as Singapore, Thai, Qatar etc... but still a good reliable airline.