We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aus Flights

UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aus Flights

Hi,

I'm in the process of planning my trip to Aus next year, leaving Mid Aug coming back early Sept.

I'm looking to fly from Manchester to Melbourne and then fly back from Brisbane Via singapore.

I have been quoted a 'young persons fare' using Sta travel which comes in at £880, flying with Eithad.

Is this a good price for that time of year or should i hang on for new offers that may come out? Also what are peoples experiences of Eithad?

Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Aus Flights

I have flown with Etihad before and found them really good, would definately fly with them again.

not sure on the airfares tho, sorry!

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aus Flights

Hi

I haven't flown on Etihad BUT I work in the travel industry and every person who has flown them says they are great! Apparently they are better than Emirates.......

Did they quote you with taxes? Ive just had a very brief look and looks like the fare and taxes are approx GBP971.

UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Aus Flights

Thanks Barina,

I have booked the flights at £878 which includes tax which when we looked at current prices seems to be the best deal I could get for the dates I wanted to be away for 15th Aug- 9th Sept.

Just not looking forward to being stuck on a plane for so long, but can't wait to get out to Oz and go touring! Just need to book one internal flight from Mel to Syd.

Gold Coast Qld
Level Contributor
279 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aus Flights

You should get a pretty cheap price for that time(internal flight) no school holidays etc....try Virgin Blue or Jetstar..have fun in oz.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,409 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aus Flights

For Melbourne-Sydney, check out

www.qantas.com

www.virginblue.com.au

www.jetstar.com.au

With Jetstar, check that the "Melbourne" airport is Tullamarine. Many of its flights leave from a secondary airport near Geelong.

Tiger also flys this route but is best avoided, as it is trying to be Australia's RyanAir.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aus Flights

There are many, many flights between Melbourne and Sydney. You can use Webjet - see

http://www.webjet.com.au/

to compare the prices, then book your chosen flight directly with the airline to avoid extra fees.

-- G

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aus Flights

Hi There

Just to clear up some earlier comments...

"With Jetstar, check that the "Melbourne" airport is Tullamarine. Many of its flights leave from a secondary airport near Geelong." - Most now fly from Tullamarine as they have realised that most people dont want to drive to Avalon (near Geelong), but still check just to make sure.

"Tiger also flys this route but is best avoided, as it is trying to be Australia's RyanAir." - I have flown Tiger and can only say how good they are. As for being Australias RyanAir? If you mean by fantastically low fares but to actual main cities instead of airports 100s of km's away then yes they are.

All airlines cancel flights and reschedule with minimal notice, with LCCs such as Jetstar, Virgin and Tiger you get less help than Qantas but thats the price you pay for a cheap fare.

www.tigerairways.com/au/en

Their planes are brand new and staff on board were great to me too.

For example - One way Melbourne to Sydney on 23rd March 2010 at around 12.30pm (inc 15kg luggage and assigned seat)

Qantas $98

Virgin $95

Jetstar $89

Tiger $43

Appreciate that you arent flying until august / september but just a quick comparison.

UK
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Aus Flights

Thanks for all your help guys it's very much appreciated.

Will book this weekend, I will just need to consider luggage weight as prime factor as my other half seems to be intent on packing everything including the kitchen sink!

Has anyone had any experience driving from Sydney to Brisbane? I have seven days and was just after any reccomendations of where to stop in my camper van :-)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aus Flights

the sydney to brisbane drive is a very easy 7 day affair. straight thru is about 12 hours. plenty of info on the route in the australian forum

10. Re: Aus Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2010, 05:19