We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet Travel

Troon, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Pet Travel

I hope this is the right place to be posting this topic! I am currently in the process of arranging to fly my cat Fudge home from New Zealand to Scotland. The company I chose to arrange this travel have not been returning my emails, and as the day that Fudge is due to travel draws ever closer, (she is scheduled to leave on 30th Nov), my anxiety levels are ever increasing! I'm not sure if I am just being over protective, but I want to make sure everything i need to do has been done. I just wondered if any of you have gone through this process before with your pets, and if so, has anyone used a New Zealand based company, what were your experiences? Any reassurances would be greatly appreciated!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet Travel

If you are anxious, why aren't you phoning them?

And you'd probably be best off posting in the NZ forum, as that's where people with experience of posting pets from NZ are (they will be posting it right? Only joking)

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet Travel

have you tried contacting the RSPCA in your country(ie animal human society)

they may know of something.

As a huge animal lover myself,I know how worrying it is for the comfort of our beloved pets.I hope you find answers, so that Fudge may travel safe and happy.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet Travel

Have you checked what is required to enter Scotland, the requirements are very different for each country but I suspect that your veterinarian will need to get involved with a health certificate, rabies vaccination (and perhaps rabies antibody testing), all of which can take quite a while,

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet Travel

It's my understanding that the UK is very restrictive on the entry of animals. I would suggest you contact the nearest UK consulate to get the specific requirements for entry. It also may involve a lenghy quarantine upon arrival. The UK consulate can best advise on this, as well as required immunizations, health certificate and other requirements.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pet Travel

I have some experience in this when animals are shipped from Canada to Uk (BUT I must stress EVERY country is different), you no longer have to go into quarantine if the pet is vaccinated for rabies by a veterinarian, then a specified time is waited, then a blood sample is taken and tested at a specified lab (in north america there is only one lab that is recognized) and after processing which is very slow you get the paper work required. Your pet must also be examined by a veterinarian and then cosigned by a federal government vet. Some countries require worm and tick treatment. You cannot speed up this process although they will expedite the paper work to some degree at an extra cost at the rabies lab in Kansas). Contact a local vet in the country the pet is and a federal government vet for complete information. I believe all pets must be microchipped with a chip that can be read in the destination country.

Troon, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pet Travel

Thank you for all your responses. I thought this was the best forum as Fudge will indeed be flying.We actually started the process to get Fudge back to Scotland last year, under the PETS Scheme so she is all good to go, she has had her rabies vaccintation and blood tests. You must use a handling agent anyway in NZ so they finalise her last vet checks and thankfuly the company I am using have eventually answered all my concerns. My parents are sorting out Fudge's travel up to Glasgow from Heathrow, which has itself been a bit of a nightmare. My mum was getting conflicting information from one of the airlines, which has now been resolved thanks to James Cargo. I knew it was not going to be an easy process, or cheap!!, but I hope we have done everything we can now, Fudge leaves NZ a week today! I was also hoping to hear from anyone that had sent their pets long journeys by plane and what their experiences were, just to reassure me!!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pet Travel

Aloha, Nthomson,

Good to read that it seems all taken care of! I can't answer re NZ-Scotland.....but if it helps any I've flown dogs to HI several times (including one that came all the way from Germany first), and it all worked out fine. There were moments of concern, I admit--like waiting for United to confirm my last guy was on the plane with me in SFO, but it all went well.

Please don't sedate your cat unless the vet absolutely says it's necessary. I've never drugged my dogs--it is dangerous and can cause some pretty bad problems. Besides, I think my dogs have slept better on the planes than I ever have, LOL!

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pet Travel

I have done this twice, Dulles to Heathrow. Preparing the pet is a rigorous process, and you have make sure everything is done in proper order. The first time, it was early in the PETS implementation, and the best routing for the dog was through Canada (Montreal if I'm remembering correctly). That dog was unaccompanied. About a year ago, I took another dog over. That dog and I were on the same BA flight. She was in cargo in a kennel, and I was in economy. Once the flight has landed, it takes a few hours (about three this last time) before the paperwork is verified and the animal is released.

Your situation is different from mine, however, in that the cat will then have an onward journey. I'm sure in about a week's time, all will be well and you'll be resting easier. Best of luck to you and Fudge!

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pet Travel

I am such a wimp when it comes to my cat, I would have flown and gotten the cat myself and brought him on as hand luggage. I know it would cost a fortune and be inconvenient but I worry too much!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,149 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pet Travel

Hmmm-well thank the lord most countries in the world (including NZ) don't allow animals as hand luggage!