We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Globespan announced administration

Ayrshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Globespan announced administration

Just heard on the news that Globespan has gone into liquidation. We have booked flights and extra legroom for June 10! What do we do now - do we look for something else? Do we hold tight? if i try to look at my booking the web pages is gone! Not happy!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Globespan announced administration

Call your credit card company straight away. If you booked with a debit card then find your travel insurance documents to see if the airline's liquidation is covered.

Did you book a package or just flights? If the latter, then where are you going to travel? It may be a bit soon to book for next summer, but it depends on your destination.

And I'm sorry to hear this, as it's got to be a pain for those who've booked and now have to sort things out as well as for the Globespan staff who will be out of work at this less than desirable time. Please do keep us posted with the results of the matter. Good luck.

Scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Globespan announced administration

Hi.

Like you we have flights booked with Globespan for June 2010 and a hotel booked separately, all done online by ourselves. We did pay by credit card and have travel insurance but there are no other flights from Scotland that tie in with our dates so we'll probably have to cancel our hotel too!

Let's pray for a solution and for the staff who face a bombshell just before Christmas.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Globespan announced administration

I would book replacement flights asap.You can bet the alternative operators on routes from Scottish Airports and possibly even Newcastle and Teesside to summer sun resorts will already have hiked their fares in anticipation of increased demand from a previuosly disinterested source. Ways of the business world I'm afraid.

Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Globespan announced administration

Have booked flights online with Globespan for xmas/new year 2009

( accomodation insurance and transfers booked independently)

Supposed to fly to spain on 21st dec to 4th jan!

Now looking for alternative flights.....total nightmare!

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
397 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Globespan announced administration

I know its terrible!!

We have booked 6 flights with them to go to Spain from Aberdeen to celebrate my friends 40th next year.

She paid for flights with her switch card because of the credit card charges, also they are the only flight operator to fly to Spain from Aberdeen!!

Sick or what!!

Cheers Elaine :0(

Manchester
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Globespan announced administration

Know how you feel I booked in Sept 2009 for Aug 2010 also with extra leg room I have contacted my credit card company and asked them to dispute the transaction hope this helps

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Globespan announced administration

sorry to hear this has happened and people have been caught up in the chaos. but really flyglobespan has been an accident looking for somewhere to happen for a few years now. it was inevitable they were going to go to the wall sometime soon. pity it had to be xmas. hope everyone manages to sort things out.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Globespan announced administration

Indeed Lien, this is not a surprise at all, and was even predicted here 11 months ago:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k25064…

Don't sit tight hoping for a miracle - Globespan is gone, its flights are cancelled and staff have been sacked.

Bad news indeed for those concerned, but they won't be missed.

Edited: 16 December 2009, 22:08
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Globespan announced administration

Latest report from the BBC website on this:

…bbc.co.uk/1/…8417183.stm

Globespan have been loudly denying that they were in trouble for the past few weeks. Sorry for anyone caught up in the mess...

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Globespan announced administration

People in the EU have 2 main ways of protecting themselves from airline collapse - book an ATOL-protected (CAA) package, use pay with a credit card.

Anyone who doesn't ,or doesn't have comprehensive insurance, is running a risk, and hoping for the best.

There are plans in the EU to bring flights-only deals into the same legislation, but it is not here now.

So, once again, when booking a flight or holiday, ASK YOURSELF -

"What happens if this company goes belly-up?".

If you aren't happy with the answer - don't book..