We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX - Heathrow - Madrid - Customs??

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
LAX - Heathrow - Madrid - Customs??

My daughter is ticketed on BA from LAX - Heathrow - Madrid - Seville. She is visiting her brother who is living in Seville. They have decided that they would like to spend a few days in Madrid, then travel by train to Seville. I'm not sure how she can "cancel" the Madrid to Seville portion of her trip. Will she need go through Customs in Madrid? If so would she be able to get her luggage and meet up with her brother rather than get on the Madrid - Seville flight? Please let me know the best way to do this. She is flying out on Christmas eve.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX - Heathrow - Madrid - Customs??

if she 'defaults" on the madrid-seville leg then her whole trip will be cancelled and she will have to buy a new ticket home (assuming she has a return). she should contact the airline.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,536 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX - Heathrow - Madrid - Customs??

1. She is going to go through Spanish customs at Madrid regardless.

2. If she decides to stop at Madrid instead of flying to Seville all the way, as lien said, the rest of her itinerary will be canceled. Check with the airline to see about changes. She might have to incur a rebooking fee or pay a fare difference.

3. See if the son can book a cheap flight Madrid to Seville to avoid all the hassle. A quick check on Iberia shows roundtrip fares for Madrid-Seville for under 100 Euros.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX - Heathrow - Madrid - Customs??

Will she need go through Customs in Madrid?

Immigration would take place at Madrid but customs wouldn't be until Seville. Thanks to the Schengen Agreement you need to clear immigration at your first point of entry into the Schengen zone (Madrid) but you won't be reunited with bags until the last leg of the trip, Seville, where you clear customs.

It is a slightly odd setup but the baggage tags are usually different in these instances so customs officials know who is who.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX - Heathrow - Madrid - Customs??

Thanks for the quick responses. I did get through to BA and they confirmed what you told me here.

5. Re: LAX - Heathrow - Madrid - Customs??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2010, 06:17