We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

premium economy

Herts
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
premium economy

Hi has anyone travelled on premium economy with Quantas or Air New Zealand to Sydney Australia

can you tell me if it is worth paying the extra money ?

Cambridge
Level Contributor
2 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: premium economy

Quantas are codeshare partners with British Airways so you may actually be on a BA flight. I have flown Premium Economy with BA to Singapore and I think it is worth it for the extra legroom but then I am over 6 feet tall! Also, you have a much greater chance of being upgraded to business class while flying premium economy than economy. I got a free upgrade twice without asking.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: premium economy

I hear very good things about NZ generally, and would certainly give their Premium Economy product a go.

I usually fly in WT+ with BA and find it quite decent, never regret spending the extra to fly in that class of service. Am not familiar with QF's PE service, so can't say aye or nay.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: premium economy

Any upgraded seat out of economy is better than being in cattle class for the long, long flight to Australia.

I'd go for PE any day for that length of flight. It really is an unbelievably long flight so I would pay the extra for any degree of comfort offered over economy.

Have a great trip.

london area
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: premium economy

Hi, Sorry cannot coment on Quantas but the choice between BA & Virgin would mean, Virgin Atlantic every time.

BA does give you extra leg room and a separate part of the main cabin so that is a bonus.

However, there is no priority check in, no special treatment for luggage, no priority boarding, no pre-flight drink or nibbles and food comes from the same cart as economy. Finally you have to pay extra to choose a seat if you want to guarantee a specific one prior to 24 hour before check-in.

Virgin Atlantic gives all of the above within the cost of their Premium ticket.

Therefore VA is superior.

But having said, premium economy on BA does give the separate cabin section and the extra leg room at a price, but on a long flight well worth it. The rest is not important to some folk. Certainly upgrade.

Herts
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: premium economy

thank you so much for your reply ! I have visited Australia twice before and once to New Zealand. I have flown with Singapore Airlines, cattle class and have been happy.

2 years ago, my parents gave me a birthday present and i flew with them on Virgin Upper Deck to Orlando.

Now i have been spoilt, i cannot bring my self to fly cattle class again ! However cannot afford the price of 1st Class to Australia, so can manage a PE ticket instead. Getting lots of advice is good and very helpful

london area
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: premium economy

You didn't give any date for travel but using June 10th as an example Premium Exonomy price between BA (actually their own flight WT+) and VA, it turns out BA is just a few pence more.

Air New Zealand looks really good but is is considerably higher and it seems they do 1 stop, like the rest, but then go into Auckland and then that involves any transfer to Sydney.

Virgin looks the best for the extras, at no cost. Sadly the PE will probably be downstairs as its only the Gatwick flights (Orlando & Las Vegas) which still have PE in the upper deck.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: premium economy

I've only seen good reports with Qantas (on their A380) and Air NZ or their premium economy products. Most of them compared to business quite close.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: premium economy

I flew Air NZ in PE last Jan, be aware of the seat configuration ...the two seat configration is great but on our return the plane with the two seat configration was canceled, we still were in PE but it was three abreast. Definatly not as comfortable as the two abreast configration.

The food and beverage service was excellent, several steps up from economy. Well worth the extra $$ for such a long flight.

Happy Travels

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
802 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: premium economy

Premium Economy on Air New Zealand is very good and well worth the extra.

The food and beverages you're given are the same as for Business Class.

The following website shows you where you'd be seated depending on the type of plane: seatguru.com/airlines/…information.php

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: premium economy

>>>can you tell me if it is worth paying the extra money ?

Only you can answer this question! Depends on how much money you have, and how much extra you are looking at!

There is no doubt premium economy on either NZ or QF will be significantly more comfortable than normal economy. I dare say they are better than the Virgin or BA offerings.