We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest flights/best search engines from SFO - Barcelona

San Francisco
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest flights/best search engines from SFO - Barcelona

My flight dates/days are flexible (Feb/March/April) for a 1 week trip to fly into Barcelona. My goal is to fly into Barcelona, stay for a few days and then drive to Southern Rhone (about 5 hours drive).

Any suggested routes/airlines/search engines that offer cheapest route? Since we are officially in 2010, what is the best time to book travel? This week?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest flights/best search engines from SFO - Barcelona

Since we are officially in 2010, what is the best time to book travel? This week?

The closer you get to travel the more expensive it'll be. Beyond that nobody knows if sales come around, and if they'll even benefit your itinerary.

Kayak and ITA Software are good places to start. You can research flying out of different airports with both, useful with your itinerary if starting in Oakland or San Jose would save some bank.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
373 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest flights/best search engines from SFO - Barcelona

To expand the previous post, itasoftware.com is particularly attractive in your case because one can do month-long searches for a particular trip. Unless this has been added recently to other search engines, to my knowledge, this is the only site that will do such a long search.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest flights/best search engines from SFO - Barcelona

There have been some amazing deals to Spain over the last month or so. I suggest you look directly on Continental's webpage. Choose the advanced search option and then choose, "My dates are flexible". It will then allow you to check fares for an entire month. Many roundtrips from SFO-BCN for around $604 total. You are probably confined to Feb or March, as prices are much higher in April.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,172 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest flights/best search engines from SFO - Barcelona

I too recommend ITA software. I was researching a possible trip to Malaysia, and the site suggested one or two days during the month where I could save several hundreds of dollars. Just stay off of those third rate American carriers (all except for Continental to EU).

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch

5. Re: Cheapest flights/best search engines from SFO - Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2010, 05:19