We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Travel Insurance?

Wakefield, MA
Level Contributor
90 posts
390 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Travel Insurance?

We will be traveling to Palau,Saipan, and Guam in April and since the airfare is very expensive we would like to get travel insurance. My husband has parents with medical problems and you just never know. Does anyone know of any good companies? We are mainly looking for trip cancellation coverage and some medical to supplement our own medical coverage.

Thanks, Lisa

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Travel Insurance?

I know that here in Canada, travel insurance must be purchased within a specified period of time from ticket purchase. (I think this may be to protect the Ins companies from people who buy their ticket, then come down with something and then want to purchase insurance.) So keep that in mind as you're planning your travels. I believe Expedia and similar offer trip cancellation and insurance as part of the ticket purchase. Although I haven't purchased through them, as I have an annual policy, so am not totally sure about that.

Vermont
Level Contributor
135 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Travel Insurance?

I get my travel insurance from Access America, but I purchase it through the AAA because I get the insurance at a discounted rate. They have worked out well for me, having paid me back a few hundred dollars (food, hotel) after a connecting flight through Philadelphia was cancelled earlier this year, stranding me overnight. Agree with Mufti's post that you do have to purchase ahead of time (usually at least a couple of weeks or more).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Travel Insurance?

For pre-existing conditions to be covered, such as your in-law's health conditions, you usually have to purchase your coverage within a certain number of days after you make your first payment toward your trip.

I usually purchase through TravelGuard, but there are many companies out there. Go to insuremytrip.com and you get a lot of information and see what works for you.

Edited: 03 January 2010, 23:49
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,740 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Travel Insurance?

Just to clarify my comment. After you buy your ticket, you have about 48 to 72 hours to buy your travel insurance - trip cancellation and emergency medical are two different policies. I didn't want to put the 48 or 72 in, because I can't remember exactly. Any closer to your departure date may mean you cannot buy insurance.

For pre-existing conditions on my policy, I must be "stable" for 90 days before DEPARTURE date for any treatment for that PEC to be covered while travelling. A treatment, a change in meds, waiting for test results could trigger a new 90 day stabilization period.

There may also be a 90 day stabilization period from BOOKING a ticket for the trip cancellation policy. So there are two different 90 day periods there.

So I think the key questions to ask are:

of your travel agency or ticket issuer:

How long do I have to purchase trip cancellation and emergency medical travel coverage?

of your insurance people:

what are the exclusions?

what are the stabilization periods of time before I travel?

how do I handle a situation I might experience when I'm travelling, e.g. do I pay first and the send in claims, do I contact the insurance company who will then approve (and pay for directly) any treatment? -- what's the procedure that 'you' require me to follow?

Canadian rules and regulations may be different from yours but it gives you something to keep in mind. Hope it helps.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Travel Insurance?

I usually use Travel Guard. For them to cover pre-existing conditions (for you or a family member) you need to purchase the insurance within 15 days of your initial deposit. Their website and customer service are both quite helpful and they have a number of different products available.

6. Re: Recommendations for Travel Insurance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 06:18