We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makes you think about airport security

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Makes you think about airport security

when you read this.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0105/dorset.html

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makes you think about airport security

Quite astonishing. Something similar happened a few years ago, IIRC in Tokyo, they put packages of a drug like heroin in various passengers luggage to test sniffer dogs or some such, and one of them went astray, they never found it ! IIRC it was quite a considerable amount as well.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makes you think about airport security

that's crazy Joe,absolute keystone cops stuff.

You do have to wonder though about just how seriously some airports take security.We were in Croatia in june & on our homebound flight from Dubrovnik we were ushered straight past the scanners without having to put our hand luggage etc on to them.From memory,there was just our family of 5 & one other family plus 2 security staff in that area,so there was no excuse for not checking our stuff properly as far as i could see.

In Marmaris in september we were allowed to bring liquids in our hand luggage onto the plane that had been bought outside the airport.We were told by our holiday rep that this would happen & of course,the entire bus stocked up on the way to the airport rather than pay the Dick Turpin prices in the airport for water,coke etc

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makes you think about airport security

I know if I found a little something extra in my luggage, I'd be letting somebody know about it. I'd also be worried about somebody beaking in to my house to get whatever they had my bag carry. Why didn't this guy call anybody? Didn't he unpack?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makes you think about airport security

Sometimes I don't unpack from a holiday for days.. Sometimes weeks cause I am sad to be home or extremely tired. It doesn't make mAke much sense but maybe he was too tired.

I think that this is out of control.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Makes you think about airport security

Also quite possible it was in a bag pocket he does not normally use. I've managed to find stuff in the outer pockets of my roller bag that I thought I lost years ago. Just don't normally use those compartments.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makes you think about airport security

So much of these security measures are just..... !!@#$&!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makes you think about airport security

in the japanese case, it was pot and the passenger found it and handed it in to the authorities.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Makes you think about airport security

Thanks Lien, maybe I had confused it with this one, news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4070973.stm where explosive went missing , it seems the idiocy of doing this is worldwide

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
737 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Makes you think about airport security

What if you are on a connecting flight, your bag are scanned at LHR when connecting to a US bound flight?

EK

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,709 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Makes you think about airport security

a Quote from AviationHerald.com

" Irish forces, who do similiar [sic] exercises to test security screening, called the procedure to hide such packages in passenger luggage stupid, they use only luggage under control of security forces rather than luggage of unwitting passengers outside the control of security forces."