We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

I did a search but I wanted to get new information in light of recent events.

We're planning a super budget trip to Disney and won't be renting a car. Since food at Disney is quite $$$ I'd like to bring a few things from home for quick snacks and lunches. Can I bring a small soft-sided ice chest with things like cheese and ham as my carry-on?

I was thinking about freezing the ham and packing the cooler with a ziploc full of ice for the trip to the airport. I'd empty out the ice before security and then (hopefully) refill if at one of the food outlets on the other side.

I would probably pack the following"

cheese

ham

strawberries (It will be peak strawberry season at home!)

Turkey would be nice but I'm worried about spoilage.

Any suggestions for doing this or for any yummy ideas for other munchies would be great!

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Edited: 18 January 2010, 17:29
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

Will you be checking bags? If so, just put the food into your checked baggage. There are no restrictions on liquids in checked bags. You may want to go with the blue ice type stuff instead - less chance of leakage.

I've also heard of people using frozen corn, peas, grapes, etc. in place of ice to get through security with carry-on food. It also has the benefit of not leaking as it defrosts. Blue ice would not be allowed in carry on though.

You can also carry on small amounts (a few pounds) of dry ice. Check with your airline for regulations there.

If you freeze the stuff ahead of time it should be good for many hours.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

Thanks!

I will be packing non-perishables like coffee in a checked suitcase. I really want to try carry-on the cold stuff. We'll be using Disney's transportation to our hotel and the luggage could arrive much later than we do-up to three hours according to Disney. I could bring a carry-on with me on the bus to the resort. Our flight is 1 hour 40 minutes.

We're only going for four days so it won't be a ton of stuff. I'd estimate that my cooler is about 18" X 9" so it should qualify size-wise. We're planning on buying milk and such at the resort gift shop.

Jennifer

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

You are aware that Orlando, Anaheim, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo all have food that you can purchase when you arrive?

Mucking around with ice chests, hams and ziploc bags sounds an utter pain in the @rse for the sake of a few dollars.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

AFAICR, you cannot bring food into Disney, so will your plan work? I have have read of people not being allowed to bring in coolers in at all, and of bags being searched and food not being allowed in.

So I suspect your plan wont work and at the very least you should double check on a Disney forum if 'm right so you dont actually waste money by flying a load of food that you can even use.

Even if you can bring packed lunches in, why not just shop locally when you arrive instead of the hassle f taking 4 days lunches on a plane?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

Thanks again for the quick replies!

Contrary to popular belief you can bring food into the Disney parks-just no glass, alcohol or large or wheeled ice chests.

We won't have a car and there is no easy access to non-Disney shopping from Disney resorts. The prices in the food courts are very high and they don't carry much beyond Velveeta and Oscar Mayer type things. We prefer nice cheeses and higher quality meats.

We'll be eating out some meals so I'm only planning on bringing a few things for breakfasts, snacks and a couple of "picnics" in our room. I'll be packing wine (well wrapped and bagged!), some good breads, coffee, homemade muesli and other things in a checked bag.

I can be VERY picky about my eats :-)

Jennifer

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

If you're absolutely SURE you wont do grocery shopping when you get there....read this...some helpful hints...Including sending packages to yourself at hotel. Contact hotel and find out specifics and whether they charge for processing incoming packages.

themouseforless.com/tripplanning/dining/gath…

On the other hand, it might be worth a taxi for ONE TRIP to the grocery store when you get there. Find out from hotel if you will be able to arrange this.)

Or, as article suggests if you are using a taxi service (town car etc) to hotel, it might be worth asking the cost of a 30min stop for groceries.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

Perhaps I should rephrase :-)

I do appreciate the good intentions but I'm not interested in buying groceries in the area. I really do know my options there and have decided, that if it's allowed, I will be bringing a few things from home. I am extremely familiar with Orlando and Disney. We've been visiting Orlando since 1981 and I'm a TripAdvisor DE for the area.. This is a very short trip and we will not be doing any off-site grocery shopping. It's not worth the $20 cab fare for such a small amount of meat, cheese and fruit and I do not consider packing a small ice chest with lovely, organic, local (and basically free) foods from my fridge an overly onerous chore. You should see what I lug along when we drive ;-)

What I'm not sure about is what's allowed on the plane since the new rules following the December 25th incident.

My questions are:

Will I be allowed to bring cheese and strawberries on a flight? Do they make a distinction between firm and softer cheeses? Is Brie a gel?

Has anyone been successful acquiring ice either at the other side of the security check or on the plane itself?

Thanks again!

Jennifer

Edited: 18 January 2010, 19:43
seattle
Level Contributor
676 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

Why not pack your food in a durable ice chest and check it through. It's been done before...

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

Hi,

At some airports there is a communal drink station somewhere in the center of the food court, you could always get some ice from the ice machine there.

Alternatively, most food vendors I've found are willing to give you a small reasonable quantity of ice upon request- at worst, they ask that you buy the cup.

On-board, the crew should be more than willing to give you some ice towards the end of the flight *after* all drink/meal services and other cabin needs have been met.. BTW, most carriers by internal safety rule, can't give out any dry ice that may have been boarded to passengers.. For health reasons, opened bags of ice are not re-used from aircraft to aircraft.. they're either used on a subsequent flight on the same aircraft or disposed of.

There is no new stated TSA rules pertaining to foods post-12/25 passing thru security. I've never heard of clearly solid foods- such as fruits and vegetables- being seized with any level of frequency at check points.

Cheese, depending on it's form, can be a slightly different issue.. If you have "spreadable" cheeses, like a Cheeze-whiz like product or a cheese spread in a jar/bottle, then an argument could be made that it's a gel and not a solid and be subject to confiscation.. But again, like with other foods, I've not heard of solid, block or sliced cheese being seized by TSA with any regularity.

Personally, I'd try to get some ice at an airport location before boarding so long as it's free or nearly free.. Once you get on-board ask your purser or lead FA if they can save any remaining unused ice for you at the end of flight.. Before landing, dump the old melted/melting ice in the lav and replace it with the fresh stuff from the plane..

Travel Safe,

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food on a Plane-Will This Work?

For a flight less than two hours I would not even worry about ice if you are going to freeze the food. It should still be quite solid after a few hours in a cooler. I don't expect the TSA to search for brie vs. cheddar, but you never know with them. Fresh fruit should not be a problem either. Bottles of condiments would be a no-go, but you could always grab some from McDonalds. Throw some empty ziplocs in the cooler just in case you hit delays - then you can fill up with ice if needed.

One note on your cooler size. Most overheads have problems with bags much taller than 9". They are designed to fit a rollaboard which is longer and wider than it is tall. Most coolers I have seen are taller, so you might have to put it on its side in the overhead - obviously a problem if you have liquids in it.