We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel avoiding the US

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Air travel avoiding the US

When you fly from a country and land in the US in transit to your destination, you may change planes or not--but your baggage and you have to go once again go through US security. If you are flying from Canada south to the Caribbean, you may land in Houston, Atlanta or Miami, on your way. Because of this extra time required to redo security, you will may miss your connecting flight. Or your flight will be held until you get there, and you get on a plane full of very angry people.

I now look for ways to avoid flying into the US, not because I don't believe in security, but because US security is now so difficult and takes so much time.

I would appreciate suggestions about direct flights from canada to the caribbean or central america which avoid transit through the US, aside from Cuba.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air travel avoiding the US

I can't say I blame you. You will have to avoid US based carriers to avoid stops in the US. That probably gives you Air Canada, West Jet, Aero Mexico, Mexicana, Carribbean, ... Here are the airlines at YYZ: http://www.toronto-yyz.com/airlines.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air travel avoiding the US

I don't know why the US does not have transit zones like much of the rest of the world!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air travel avoiding the US

> I don't know why the US does not have transit zones like much of the rest of the world!

They do in some airports for some destinations. It is a pilot project that will hopefully be extended.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air travel avoiding the US

Pre 9-11 it was possible to simply "transit" where a zone was available. Post 9-11, they're keen to track anyone and everyone who travels through the country, going anywhere. It's been like this for almost a decade, I hope it actually does change at some point. Just avoid the US whenever possible, or book your flights with enough breathing room so you can still make your connection even with a delay...

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
613 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air travel avoiding the US

air Jamaica from toronto to their hub can get you around the US. not the greatest airline but an option.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air travel avoiding the US

I don't know why the US does not have transit zones like much of the rest of the world!

Because arrivals and departures, and international and domestic flights are not segregated at US airports.

Therefore you could "connect" and end up in the departures hall where you could exit the concourse thereby circumventing immigration.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air travel avoiding the US

"you may change planes or not--but your baggage and you have to go once again go through US security."

In many airports there is now secure bag transfer between international flights. For example, in Houston, if you are flying in from Mexico enroute to Toronto, your bags transfer without you having to pick them up. This is a recent change.

The requirement to go through security on landing, connecting or not, is seen in many airports around the world. I waited an hour in line last time I went through MEL. The US doesn't force you to do that. There are many places in the world that do not have, let's say, the most attentive security pre-boarding. As such, when those passengers want to connect they need to be screened. I cannot think of a single airport that has you clear customs and then drops you into a transit area.

Even in AMS where the international flights are grouped together in several spokes of the airport, you face security screening before you get on the next international flight. Security in the US has not changed in the past 8 years. It is no different than pre-Christmas. Security in Canada is, but not in the US for outbound or connections.

Edited: 19 January 2010, 15:17
8. Re: Air travel avoiding the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 08:15