We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

premium economy on virgin

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
premium economy on virgin

hey guys just wondering what those of you who hav flown with Virgin "premium economy" think of it?? is it as good as "world traveller plus"on BA?? as ever any hnelp much appreciated

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: premium economy on virgin

Depends on the route. I think Virgin are in the process of, or maybe have completed the refit of their aircraft with a new premium economy seat and I have heard it is very good. Decent amount of width (21") but the same pitch as BA WT+ (38")

BA WT+ is more about the seat itself (although it is somewhat lagging at the moment) whereas Virgin is more about a total product; Virgin offer a separate check-in desk for premium economy (BA do not), Virgin offer premium boarding for PE (BA do not), Virgin offer pre-flight drinks including bubbles to PE (BA do not), Virgin have separate meal service for PE whereas BA serve WT+ before WT.

VS PE:

airliners.net/photo/…

BA WT+:

airliners.net/photo/…

If the fares are comparable I'd go with Virgin, if not then you've got to weigh up how much the additional benefits or Virgin are worth to you.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: premium economy on virgin

hey thank you for your advice, if we fly with virgin it b a 747 jumbo(i think thats what it called ) virgin is slightly cheaper than BA and it does seem to offer more benefits

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: premium economy on virgin

totally agree with poster go with virgin try and book into the upper deck only 30 seats and dedicated crew. Yes we have had some positve and negative premuium expereinces and it very much depends I think on the route and crew for instance flying to the middle east great service florida less so.

seats on the upper deck are rows 70 onwards

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: premium economy on virgin

A few years ago we flew Virgin PE from JFK-LHR-JNB. It wasn't BC, but for the price it was very good. We would do it again. Another important reason was that the schedule was much better with Virgin than BA.

BTW, I found that the price for PE varied from minute to minute, as I refreshed the page.

We also flew Thai Air PE, JFK-BKK, but they don't do that anymore. That was the best.

london area
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: premium economy on virgin

"...is it as good as "world traveller plus"on BA??" Virgin Atlantic's Premium Ecomony is simply superior in every way compared with BA.

The Upper-deck PE is the best, but normally these flights operate out of Gatwick.

BA upgrade is a total waste of money, in fact apart from an inch of two of extra leg space in a few rows of seats situated in a pokey enclosure, you get nothing else for your cash.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: premium economy on virgin

Well you get to have 2 checked bags rather than the one you get in Economy with Virgin.

Only little but useful.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
203 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: premium economy on virgin

VS PE is a good product, particularly the upper deck on the 744.

Depending on where you are going you may get a better deal by booking Club World or Upper Class as the difference in price may be small. We are travelling BA Club for £1450 round trip to Jamaica whereas PE with VS is close to £2K.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: premium economy on virgin

<<BA upgrade is a total waste of money, in fact apart from an inch of two of extra leg space in a few rows of seats situated in a pokey enclosure, you get nothing else for your cash.>>

Each to their own - You get an extra FIVE or so inches (definitely not "one or two") legroom that makes all the difference compared to economy, a private and 'select' cabin (rather than 'poky'), and you do get served first which means you get to have your choice of dinner.

Having said that, if its a straight comparison, same route, same price, I'd say Virgin is better by a fair distance - apart from wider and nicer seats you can prebook your seat for free rather than pay £25/seat/person = £100 extra for a couple on a return, plus as said, the dedicated check in is nice as well. And if you can get the upper deck on VIrgin PE it is excellent.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
66 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: premium economy on virgin

We have just travelled to Hong Kong (destination New Zealand) by Virgin and were not at all happy with their Premium Economy. We had seats in the front row (middle) the only way we could stretch out our legs was to put them up on the panelling in front of us I am 5ft 1" my husband 6'. The food was not good and the light from the food preparation area is only obstructed by a curtain - if the Stewards do not pull it over completely you have this shining all night in your eyes unless you keep dragging it back. I did not think it was worth the extra especially as you are paying for more leg room.

However we travelled on to Auckland with Air New Zealand (Premium Economy) and we were delighted with them. Everything about this experience was excellent, space - as soon as you got on board the plane it looked spacious and was, plenty of leg room, food excellent. We took 9 flights in all on our travels this time (we were on an around the world trip), seven with Air New Zealand and they have greatly improved and now provide excellent service (we have been to New Zealand five times in the last 10 years). We travelled back from LA with Virgin and told them how unhappy we had been with the cramped conditions and were transferred to a seat in the front (side aisle) with plenty of leg room but the food still was not great. If you are unlucky to be sitting in the back row (middle) of Premium Economy there are two toilets right opposite your row so if you are a light sleeper beware!

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: premium economy on virgin

We've travelled Virgin PE several times. Their new seats are much better than their old seats BUT the food on board is truly awful. The bubbly is not champagne as it is in Upper Deck. Priority boarding is no big deal. Priority luggage is quite a nice perk but no more than that. I cannot speak for the 747, but in the smaller aircraft, the PE cabin is very small, which sounds nice, but if you need to wander to stretch your legs, you can't go far unless you wander into economy. I agree that whether it is worth it depends on what the extra spend is. They sometimes offer to sell last-minute upgrades at the airport. When we did this, we suffered for it, as Virgin double charged our credit card and it was hugely difficult and time-consuming to get this corrected. In my experience, Virgin are all right as long as nothing goes wrong and you have to try to contact customer service. Also, of course you can get unlucky with a crying baby in any cabin class.