We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan Dining on Airlines

Boston, MA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vegan Dining on Airlines

Just an FYI.. Many airlines these days do offer vegetarian and vegan dining options. Vegans can request the "Asian Vegetarian Meal" on some airlines, while on others you can request vegan.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

Edible meals however are still rare. Best suggestion, pack your own :)

Also remember that while they may have these options on most domestic US travel it doesn't really matter, they aren't planning to feed you and the "snacks " for sale don't vary based on request.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,378 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

I suspect some of the "snacks" served on the airlines might contain non-vegan ingredients. Animal shortening is an often-used ingredient.

Of course, the better airlines internationally have a variety of vegan and religious meals. Be sure to request in advance.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

Have not often seen the word "dining" in conjunction with airline "food".

Edited: 05 March 2010, 09:35
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

"dining" usually only appears on the airline's self-promotional material :)

i've never flown on a carrier that doesn't offer vegetarian or vegan meals.

And as for taste, I know not everyone enjoys this cuisine, but the Indian vegetarian option ALWAYS has flavour. it's too easy to make western food even more bland, hard to do that for Indian!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

And just fyi... Asian Vegetarian (AVML) is NOT vegan. I've often been served lentils in cream sauce, or a paneer curry. VLML is the only vegan meal you can guarantee yourself when "dining" on an airline. Sometimes FPML (Fruit Plate) will be vegan, but it is not guaranteed as such. There used to be RVML (Raw Vegetable) and VOML (Vegetarian Oriental) that were vegan, but they've been phased out over the years.

Unknown
Level Contributor
502 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

if youre veggie, muslim or jewish, pls avoid Air Europa as all you get with them is pork, pork and more pork. I had the misfortune to fly with them and they thoguht pork was vegetarian.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

Fly Emirates if you are specific about your diet.

You can specify a Jain menu.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

I heartily agree with Bimdonesia on the Indian Veg option. (though not vegan). I'm an omnivore but after a couple of flights on UA where the only thing worse than the Soviet-esque service is the greasy, dire, flavourless food, I cottoned on to the idea of ordering Indian Veg meals only to become the envy of fellow pax hoeing into their macaroni and melted processed cheese.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

Nice one, SydneyStephen :) Plus you get served first so the meat-eating pax are probably smelling and seeing your delicious meal, which would double the disappointment when they encounter the macaroni ^^

There are other airlines that also offer Jain menu-- Malaysia and Singapore Airlines do, if I recall correctly. perhaps Thai, as well.

VOML (Vegetarian oriental) is still served on many carriers, though not sure about being vegan-- this is one of the worst categories of veg meals I have ordered (two thin strips of carrots, one pea, the broken remnants of hokkien noodles and a LOT of oil and no other flavouring). How delicious Chinese food can be on the ground and how awful it can be in the air! Never again!

Boston, MA
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegan Dining on Airlines

Yes. The Asian options are the best for vegetarians/vegans. Indian sometimes contains dairy, so you must ask in advance. The Asian meal is USUALLY vegan. Please ask airlines in advance. I have never had a problem and I have traveled all over the world. Snacks are more difficult too as may contain butter, milk, or honey. Some crackers, nuts, or fruit are ok.

FYI. There has been at least one time when the airline did not convey my meal requirement. You should verify with stewardess as you as you board. They may be able to accommodate. However, if you wait until they serve the meal and none is prepared vegan at that point, they will be unable to obtain one while in the air.

I also suggest bringing vegan foods with you, including snacks and dried oatmeal/noodles/meals to add hot water. I

Edited: 02 June 2010, 21:58