We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Air France

Austin
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Air France

I'm attaching a letter written to Air France after a horrible experience trying to fly to Paris from Houston Texas.

To date, neither I or my travel agent have even received any acknowledgement from anyone at Air France.

October 14, 2009

To Whom Concerned or Interested at Air France,

On October 1, 2009, my mother, myself and six family members boarded your Air France flight 33 from Houston, Texas to Paris. This trip was my mother's dream trip as our final destination was Prague. We were celebrating her 80th birthday by taking her to see our ancestral homeland. She called it her “trip of a lifetime”.

I'm quite sure that you are aware of the mechanical problems that occurred on that flight, so going into detail about the situation isn't really necessary. I applaud your crew and pilots for a safe landing and, luckily, we had a family member who is an experienced travel agent to attend to the details of continuing our “dream trip”. I also want to highly commend Felicia and Heidi on your Houston ground crew who, along with my cousin, were able to work out reasonable alternative travel for October 2, 2009.

Now let me make a suggestion. Gather 4 or 5 of your highest executives along with a couple of seniors and place them on a full Boeing 777 and let them sit on the tarmac for six hours. Let them enjoy the lack of air conditioning, repeated announcements of impending take off, and the odor of 300 sweating bodies and filling toilets. Then them off the aircraft and line up in front of 2 Air France agents who suggest “go home and come back tomorrow at 9:00 in the morning”. Send an agent to stroll up and down the line to lie about the situation and notice that several elderly people in that line and watch him do NOTHING. That's the way to start a “trip of a lifetime”.

We had planned this trip down to the last detail. We wanted my mother, Rose Krupa, to have the best and flying on Air France seemed to be the best. I had flown Air France several times from Houston to Mexico City in the 1970's and enjoyed the service, cleanliness and timeliness. What has happened to your airline? We lost one day of the “dream trip”, 6 worthless box tickets to the opera in Prague, one night's cost of lodging for 8 people in Prague, and endured exhausting hours of lies. I can handle most anything. I can excuse most anything. But never lie to me. I am a seasoned traveler and have flown many times.

After about one hour on the plane, it was more than obvious that the mechanical problem was serious and at that time the flight should have been canceled. Your agents were told that the plane was going to leave up until 5 minutes before it was canceled. They had five minutes to prepare to handle more than 300 irate and exhausted passengers. That just tells me what you think of your agents. I actually felt sorry for Felicia and found out that she didn't leave for home until 4:00 AM and was back at her job and 9:00 AM. She also found us at our Lufthansa flight to make sure that all was okay.

Now let's get to the bottom line. I expect Air France to reimburse us for one night's lodging in Prague along with the cost of 6 tickets to the opera at the National Theater in Prague. It was a personal favorite, Carmen. The lost day, priceless, and I excuse that, thanks to the successful landing.

Sincerely,

Frank J. Krupa

We did fly Air France back to Houston. The aircraft was filthy. The crew was indifferent. A large number of the seat entertainment systems were inoperative. If you are planning a trip to Europe, don't fly Air France. They maybe less expensive, but is not worth it!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,579 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Air France

"Now let's get to the bottom line. "

They probably didn't make it that far...way too much information, and I'm not sure why you would include your mothers name on a public Internet forum for all to see.

Austin
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Air France

I don't think your comment is appropriate. So what's your concern about the use of names? I have nothing to hide nor does my mother. As far as too much info....I'm not giving a "blow by blow"....just hitting the high spots.

Air France screwed 343 people and could have cared less. I hope that doesn't happen to others.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,436 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Air France

So what actually happend FJK? Tech delay? aborted take off? You mentioned something about a landing but I cannotfirn anything about an AF incident around then.

You have practically no chance of getting compensated for consequntial losses caused by the delay.

Your letter contains far to much detailed info about dream trips and elderly mothers etc.. It reminds me of a converstion between a man and his wife with her saying "you know what you've done and if you don't know then I'm not going to tell you but you are going to pay for it"

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,198 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Air France

I don't think AF screwed anyone. I don't know of the incident but if it resulted in an emergency landing I would be kissing A$$ not kicking it!

So you lost a day of your trip of a life time. Was this the only day?

You did of course have Travel Insurance that covered delayed departure/cancellation?

Lost accommodation and "a night at the Opera"? Did you get free accommodation at Houston? AF staff appear to have done well for you. You should be thankful you were not with the folks just before Christmas who had been waiting up to a week to go on their "trips of a lifetime!" LA, LAS etc., but saw nothing but the inside of a terminal building.

Tip. When writing to a French Airline you may find it gets a better chance of being read if you do it in French.

(Another one for the "Never Fly list" Ronaldo?) This one from ""I am a seasoned traveler and have flown many times. ""

5. Re: Beware of Air France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 00:05
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Air France

<and several smelly French citizens> So only the French smell?

You have just loss all credibility in my eyes.

ian480.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,579 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Air France

Indeed. It seems there are some "issues" here unrelated to air travel.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Air France

WAY TOO LONG! The reader got bored and threw it in the trash.

Sorry!

And why not let your TA fight the battle. He/she should have an AF rep they are halfway good at selling airfare.

Lots of whining about things that didn't really affect you and you wasted too much time telling them how to run the airline!

Austin
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Air France

Well Ian480,

10. Re: Beware of Air France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 00:35