We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

Aberystwyth, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

Hiya, I was wondering if anyone could say which airline provides the best seat width in their economy section?

I flew to Dalaman from Manchester last year with Thomas Cook and felt rather cramped and had to ask for a seat belt extender. I'm a big girl, so was wondering if Thomson are any better because I want to go back to Turkey, but would like a more comfortable flight.

And before anyone says, I will be trying to lose weight in the mean time lol

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
955 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

Hi, my husband is a big guy - 6'2" and broad too! We've been to Turkey with most charters - as you said T.Cook was v.cramped on their 757, we found Thomson 757 better but if you book with Thomson there is no guarantee you'll be on a Thomson aeroplane as you may be on First Choice as we found when we went to Marsa Alam. We found this to be similar to T.Cook. This year we have booked with Monarch on a Saturday as it is their A330 which has loads of extra leg room seats - not just those at exits. We always find its worth the extra for the extra comfort.

Leeds
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

Have you tried looking at Jet2 as they fly from Manchester and have about third of the cabin converted to extra leg room seats rather than just the usual exit seats so the whole area has more space generally. We though it was great last year. I think they also do holiday packages if that is what you are after.

Aberystwyth, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

Thank you very much :)

I know it's a bit silly getting worked up so far in advance, but after hearing stories where people have been asked to leave the plane because they are too big, it's a bit scarey. Don't think I would ever go on holiday again if that happened to me.

I'll still try losing some of my weight, but will keep Monarch in mind for when we do get to book it.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

Your question may be a bit academic, as it is my understanding that Thos Cook are the only airline on your route Norwich to Dalaman.

Having said that, someone posted somewhere that Pegasus are now doing that route. http://www.flypgs.com/EN/ However, I have been unable to verify this, and if you were to use them it would have to be a DIY, rather than package holiday, and as these flights originate in Turkey, you would need to consider that you would only have 6.1/2 or 13.1/2 days in resort.

Hope that this helps.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

I always avoid Thomas Cooks as much as I can. Couldn't avoid them last September but that was the first time for many years and will definately be the last.

Have just flown Jet2 to Lanzarote and upgraded to the extra leg room seats at the front of the cabin (about 8-10 rows). Well worth the extra.

We are flying to Lanzarote in September with Monarch and have upgraded to Monarch plus (extra legroom at front of cabin) but they only have it available on selected aircraft (short haul A320/321).

This is a good site for information on airlines/aircraft

www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php…

luddendenturk

I presume the OP is flying from Manchester as she appears to live in Northwich.

Aberystwyth, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

yes I would be flying from Manchester :)

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

LOL ROFL .

I read the OP's post, and thought that she lived in Norwich?

DOH!!

8. Re: thomsonfly or thomas cook seat width, which is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 07:16