We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it okay to take one-way flights internationally?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Is it okay to take one-way flights internationally?

I am going to Mexico in two months and the best flight itinerary I can find is on two separate airlines, taking US Air there and Mexican Airlines back.

First of all, is this allowed considering it is an international trip? Second of all, will it cause a hassle at check in and then again at customs if the computer doesn't show that I am planning on returning to the US?

It's a short trip, I'm only going for 5 days, and I am planning on printing out my itineraries so that I can show that I am departing in a few days.

Thanks in advance for any advice, it is greatly appreciated!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it okay to take one-way flights internationally?

We did exactly the same thing last october with no problem whatsoever.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it okay to take one-way flights internationally?

I can only speak from experience, and it's not been a problem for me. In fact, I've got another set of single trans-border flights coming up next month and am hoping for a seamless journey as before.

When asked why I have a single ticket, I've said at check in and at border control 'I have a single ticket for the return journey with Airline X on Date Y; do you need the ticket details' and have never been asked for them. I've been asked why I've booked two singles by one border control agent, and I told him the truth: it was cheaper to do so. That satsified the agent, and since then I've had no aggro when flying on two singles rather than a return.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it okay to take one-way flights internationally?

As long as you have a ticket showing a departure from Mexico then it is not an issue. Immigration do not care who you fly with, just that you have a ticket confirming you will be leaving within the validity of your visa.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it okay to take one-way flights internationally?

I have to say that I have never been to a non-EU country where they cared less about who I was and what my plans were than Mexico - was through it all in seconds!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,628 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it okay to take one-way flights internationally?

Al, If you had routed via the "land of the free" Mexican Immigration would have felt sorry for you as you had suffered enough!

6. Re: Is it okay to take one-way flights internationally?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 06:23