We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

No surprises in this report

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3311593

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

Three Words - Boots Meal Deal

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

Absolutely, Alan! Buy before you fly....you can take your own food from home, and buy liquids in the airport, still saving cash....

I always do, and I have to fly Sleazyjet frequently for work! And yes, I could charge it to expenses, but I refuse to add to the airlines inflated revenue.

England
Level Contributor
495 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

Are you surprised ... these are commercial enterprises and profit maximisation is the name of the game. They pull you in with a cheaper fare, then make up selling extras, including food - after all the sandwich service must contribute (make a profit) to the bottom line.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,314 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

Three more words :- Dont buy anything

Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

Plan acordingly.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

I've had flight attendants lean over and ask me where I've gotten my meal....not on your airline that's for sure!!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

Now see, here's the problem with the the don't buy anything theory...

The fact is that budget airlines make a very large chunk of their revenues from these "ancillaries". One way or another, by choice or through stupidity, many people do buy extras. If nobody ever bought anything (food and drink on board, scratchcards, checked luggage, insurance, priority boarding etc.) or never wound up in a situation where they were forced to pay a fee (no access to the internet on holiday so no way to print the boarding pass etc.), these airlines would have only one option to make up the lost revenue.

That's right - put fares up.

Unknown
Level Contributor
502 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

or if you're flying from a big airport, like STN or LGW, they have great restaurants and not too dear.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

No one forces you to eat the sandwiches.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,628 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget airlines' sky-high sandwich prices

Well at FL360 I for one would like to know where else you expect the sandwiches to be?

On a more practical note why is it felt necessary to eat during a short haul flight at all? Do people wake up in the middle of their eight hour sleep and grab a sarnie? Feeding your face is simply displacement therapy and not necessary. Eating is not obligatory on any airline wot I have flown.

Like vindy says. Take your meal leisurely before you fly or wait til you get there.

We had a discussion on here a while back about Airlines giving crap value 'meal vouchers'. Now you know why they can get away with it.