We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance Question

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance Question

If you take out a single trip travel insurance, you are normally asked to specify the periods of cover.

Say you are on a two week break and your cover period is just for that two weeks, what happens if it has now expired ?

Another way that the insurance companies will try to wriggle out of paying out

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,850 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance Question

Hi Steve

I can't help you regarding your specific question regarding travel insurance, but I do know that I was mid claim when my household insurance ran out. Despite changing insurers for the subsequent period of insurance (coz I got a better deal) the ongoing cliam did continue and finally got closed, after I received full comp, well after expiry of cover date. I would guess, but others may know better, that, as long as the specific dates for the trip in question were covered correctly by the policy, and it was taken out before the known problem arose (ie. in the current situation, before the volcano blew in Iceland) then, if you are still holed up in some remote country, high and dry with no means of returning to your home base, you *ought* to be covered. But, as ever, you need to read the fine print and the Ts&Cs as the devil is in the detail and each policy seems to be different.

I have annual worldwide travel insurance. While, in theory, it covers me for the current situation, all I'd be able to claim is about £300 or so. That's wouldn't get me far is some remote part with no plane back for well over a week, and you'd need to funds to start with as you'd only, probably, be able to make you claim and do the paperwork once back at base - although some policies do have emergency contact numbers that work from abroad. These are probably currently innundated, I'd guess.

Good luck,

SWT

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance Question

Hi SWT

Fortunately, we have Annual Cover, albeit with a max hotel benefit of £300 (that sure as hell wont get you a week in a hotel in Miami).

I was just flagging it up as a point that may be of concern, in the hope that some knowledgable soul out there may have a answer

Steve

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance Question

We have been pondering this too, if your airline changes your outbound date how does it work.

I have a single trip policy in place when I took it out I chose to take it out a date earlier than the date we're due to fly and for a day later upon return.

Guess you need to speak to your insurer.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance Question

So long as the "insured event" took place during the period of cover you will be OK.

Insurance companies had to payout for asbestos related health claims many years after the cover ceased.

South London
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance Question

You can call them to extend your cover

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance Question

I would be very surprised if they would agree to that. And if they did, would they not be able to say that as the event was ongoing, you were not covered for it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insurance Question

For Southern Cross travel in New Zealand they have stated that they will automatically extend the insurance due to an unexpected event. You don't even have to ring them - just provide information on your travel claim

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insurance Question

£300 is all you get?? My policy allows AUD$200 for each 6 hour period of delay, up to a maximum of AUD$2000 (so that's about £1212 today) plus, from memory, they pay $50 (per day I think) for food (not that $50 will pay for much). That's for a single traveller - the benefits increase if its a family policy.

9. Re: Insurance Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 07:16