We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights home to u.k.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
flights home to u.k.

hi, the british government has aagreed with spain to use madrid airport as a hub and then coach passengers to channel ports and then ferry/naval ships back to the u.k.for those stranded in asia.

on who flies first they have not released details yet.i guess that will be up to the airlines and air space slots available.

latest news on the bbc.u.k. air space is closed at least until tuesday 01.00 hours.italy has also closed it`s air space until tuesday 07.00 hours and a met office plane has said there is still dangerous amounts of ash in the atmosphere.the ash cloud is expected to hit the east coast of canada today.

norwichblue1

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,085 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights home to u.k.

Well, this is an interesting development. It *could* work fine for BA passengers as they share Iberia's new terminal which, with the satellite wing, has (at least last time I was there - 18 months ago) loads of spare capacity. Sorting out the buses and ferries might be quite a challenge, though. Dunkirk all over again, almost!

SWT

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights home to u.k.

Given the unholy mess that has occurred, the only thing one can be certain of, is that by the time any of these ships is able to pick up stranded passengers, the air system will be back to normal. In other words, this is a pure publicity stunt. It will cost many millions, but makes Brown feel he is doing something. He is doing nothing useful, just spending your money.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,033 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights home to u.k.

According to the Spain Forums, Thomsons, Jet2, and Thomas Cook have already started busing people to UK, Also Jet2 are busing passengers from Faro portugal. But there are some rumours that Jet2 are charging 300 euros.!!!!! ( that is not for their own passengers mind) Look out for the Ryanair bus soon !! lol

Maybe more Spanish airports should be used.. would be bedlam at Madrid, how would they cope with all those extra flights ?

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights home to u.k.

<< is that by the time any of these ships is able to pick up stranded passengers, the air system will be back to normal. In other words, this is a pure publicity stunt. >.

The ships will be there tomorrow, you reckon that everything will be flying by then ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights home to u.k.

OK, by the time the ships have returned the passengers to the UK

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights home to u.k.

When all this started last Thursday, who on here would have thought it would have lasted so long?

Is it a bad thing to ask Spain for help?

Is it wrong to help with buses/ trains to Calais?

Is it wrong to send 3 RN ships to help? One is for our troops stuck in Spain.

It seems to me some people like to blame the government just for the h*ll of it

I do wonder how some of these knockers would do if they was is charge?

ian480.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,185 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights home to u.k.

Good post ian.

The situation is far from ideal but you've got to do whatever you can to help ease it. The government is not to blame for this mess. The news have just been mentioning that possibly no flights until later in the week and I read that Manchester airport is preparing to be closed until Friday.

I am thankful that the final decision as when to resume flights will rest with the CAA and Nats and not the eurocrats..

The sooner we all realise that we control nothing in our lives, especially mother nature, the better.

8. Re: flights home to u.k.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 06:22