We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance for volcanic ash flight cancelations

Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
travel insurance for volcanic ash flight cancelations

I am planning a summer European trip and I am concerned that there will be more volcanic eruptions. Will travel insurance cover flights canceled because of volcanic ash?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,016 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance for volcanic ash flight cancelations

It will depend on your policy. Get it in writing before you sign up.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance for volcanic ash flight cancelations

If your flight is canceled due to ash, the airline is liely to allow you a full refund or the option to re-book within one year, paying any extra fare at that time. Check the airline sites now to see how they are handling today's events. While it is no guarantee of what they will do in the future, they are usually pretty dependable in that context. Of greater importance (risk) would be the tour/hotel costs.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance for volcanic ash flight cancelations

There is a very small likelihood, if any, that the volcano eruptions will continue for so long. If you want to book your holiday and be safe about it, I recommend you book a package holiday through a reliable travel agent. By "package holiday", I mean a holiday where all the components are booked through a single tour oprtator (as opposed to flight, hotels, and transfers booked separately).

Major tour operators have their own flights and their own contract with the accommodations. If anything happens to your holiday such as a delay or cancellation due to the flights, your entire holiday will be protected (by way of rescheduling or refund) as opposed to only the flight component.

Happy booking!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel insurance for volcanic ash flight cancelations

If you take out a new policy now, it is unlikely that it will cover you for cancellations due to the volcanic ash as it is now a know event.

5. Re: travel insurance for volcanic ash flight cancelations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 07:17