We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

I went on a 'holiday of a lifetime' with a friend who has multiple sclerosis as she had always wanted to see New York. We booked with Expedia and the flight was with American Airlines.

We were due to travel back on the Thursday the Volcano Ash ban closed the airports. It took until 4 hours before the flight for AA to confirm it was cancelled - the hotel we stayed in let us extend the stay with them eventually but the price was more than doubled.

We tried to call Expedia and got cut off more than 10 times because they were 'too busy' - I rang American Airlines at least as many times and finally spoke to someone who booked my friend and I on a flight home on Wednesday 21st April - this was 6 days after we should have flown home. AA would not agree to pay for accomodation at all.

We then spent a whole day trying to find cheaper accomodation and moved over to New Jersey where we stayed for the final 4 days. By the then stress had made my friend very ill and it was a torturous journey home but we did get home on Wednesday.

How can I claim back the £460 phone bill - the £360 hotel bill, the £400 additional expenses on travel and food??? and who will pay it - Expedia won't answer me, AA have said no - my last chance is LLoyds insurance who I took my travel insurance with.

Has anyone had any success claiming back additinal expense?

1 disgruntled, extremely broke but veryglad to be home weary traveller......

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

For sure AA will not reimburse you which they already said. I highly doubt that Expedia will either. Just file a claim with your insurance company who may or may not deny you.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

Your travel insurance *should* cover all those expenses, since they were incurred as a result of a flight delay caused by the airline cancelling your flight. Most companies do have a limit, however, so you would need to find that out as well. Good luck and I am glad you made it home safely.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

Unfortunately neither the airline nor Expedia is responsible to assist with the extra charges. They'tre only required to get you back hoe. You'll need to contact your insurance company for assisrance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

I would have thought your traveller insurer would have been the first port of call.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

Yes - claim off your insurance. If it's Lloyds TSB (rather than a Lloyds Broker) then earlier they were saying that they would not pay out for ash related claims. But Saturday's Money Box programme on BBC Radio 4 reported that Lloyds TSB has had a rethink and now will consider claims. So do claim and keep copies of everything too. If Lloyds TSB try to wriggle out then go to the Insurance Ombudsman scheme.

Good luck.

This is now on Lloyds TSB's website:

-----------------------------------------------------

Will my Lloyds TSB travel insurance cover the additional cost of necessary expenses incurred whilst I am are stranded overseas?

If your return flight to the UK is delayed or cancelled the airline is responsible for getting you home, and for providing you with accommodation and food in the meantime. Your insurance policy does not cover these costs. However, given the unprecedented nature of the event, for Lloyds TSB travel insurance customers, if your airline or tour operator are not willing to cover these costs we will consider a good will payment on a case by case basis. This will look to mitigate the cost of accommodation, food, beverages, necessary communications to home and essential travel in the local area.

-------------------------------------------------------

Edited: 26 April 2010, 08:02
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

As others. US based airlines are not covered by Euro Regs even if the flight is TO the EU. Outbound pax from EU would be covered but that does not help you. (I am wondering why we have not heard of AA/Delta/US etc refusing liability for those stuck here?? Just an aside.)

It looks like Insurers, rightly, will push you back to the airline if they can. If not it will be dealt with on a case by case basis. My policy covers me others do not.

so calmly add up your 'reasonable' costs and submit a claim to Lloyds with your fingers crossed. If you over egg it there may well be a justifiable reaction to toss it in the bin as a chancer.

Good luck. Next time fly with a EU flagged Carrier. Even Ryanair are paying out.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

£460 phone bill

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Ouch. Why so high?

Don't know why you even tried to make a claim with Expedia or AA; they aren't responsible for the situation, and will never pay you anything. Your only recourse is with your travel insurance.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

Hallse:

My son is in the same boat as you except that he is only flying home from Miami with American Airlines tonight. He was due to fly back a week last Thursday and has been staying in Miami with his family paying $100 US per night for hotel accommodation.

The last I heard from him was a few days ago and he was going to talk to his insurance company on his return.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

hi there.

we were stuck in london, UK for an extra 6 days. We were booked to come home to toronto on the friday ...through american airlines.

we have travel insurance that only covers my husband and i for a maximum of $1200 canadian total. that was gone quickly. a couple nights in a london hotel, $500 in calls and a couple meals. london is too pricey.

everything i have been reading online basically says 'don't take no for an answer from AA'

even though all the EU regulations say that AA should be paying out...they aren't making it easy to even talk to someone or get any information at all.

i'd try your insurance first...and be persistent. then keep trying AA.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,578 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed to claim for hotel food,for extra 6 days in USA

Hi,

barbabelle00, welcome to TA and thanks for your first post.. You write that "everything i have been reading online basically says 'don't take no for an answer from AA' even though all the EU regulations say that AA should be paying out."

Are you sure about that? The situation that bellagio reports is on a US-flagged carrier (American Airlines) *and* operating from OUTSIDE the EU zone (from Miami).. As such, I read as well as others, that the statutory "duty of care" clause in EU code does *not* apply to American Airlines in this case.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 26 April 2010, 17:47